We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
beaches

I am going to malta in a few weeks. I understand that the majority of the beaches are stoney, but is there one sandy beach that you could recommend by bus from St. Julian??? thank you

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches

there is a sandy man made one at st julians but it is not that big. I would go to mellieha as it is the biggest on the island you can get bus it will take about 30mins-40.

Malta
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches

I like going to Golden Bay or Ghajn Tuffieha - basically they are next to each other but there is a long flight of steps down to Ghajn Tuffieha so Golden Bay is easier to get to. They are located in the North and can be reached by bus friom St Julians in about 45 minutes.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches

The beaches in St Julians are not stoney as such but flat rocks so good for sunbathing and there is easy access to the sea.

As you walk along the promenade you can see where attracts you most.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches

The small sandy beach at St Julian's is in St George's Bay. Other than that you can catch the direct bus from St Julian's to Mellieha which is the main sandy beach. There are others like Ghajn Tuffieha and Golden Bay as well as Paradise Bay, Armier and little Armier - they are all a bit more difficult to get to. Check out public transport

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches

Many people prefer the flat rocky beaches to the sandy ones (unless you have young children).

You could try going to the Water Polo Clubs as they also have pools. In Sliema there are Lidos that have sunbeds for hire.

For bus service go to atp.com.mt and see direct bus schedules

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beaches

thank you very much for your info. I will probably use the flat stone beach that you discussed as you can get to the sea easy. I don't fancy being on a bus for 40 mins in heat to be honest. thanks again, you have all been most helpful.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beaches

That would be my choice too. It's too hot to be spending all that time travelling to the sandy beaches - sand gets everywhere anyway and I much prefer diving off the rocks into the lovely cool deep water. Enjoy your holiday. Only 10 days left to mine, can't wait

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beaches

I don`t know where you are staying in St Julians but many of the 5* hotels offer day tickets for their pool area so you could try those too.

The sandy beach at St Georges seems to be frequented by the younger age group.

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beaches

I'm staying at the Le Meridien, I know they have a pool area, but afraid it might be noisey, I'm late 20's but I'm on hols to relax not sit with noisey kids. you know what I mean?

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beaches

Le Meridien is quite an expensive hotel, so I shouldn`t imagine it will have many families with young children.

You could find a quiet spot on the flat rocky beaches nearby.

Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's
Recent Conversations