We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne to Tasmania - 9 days Free & Easy. Help on Itinerar

Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne to Tasmania - 9 days Free & Easy. Help on Itinerar

We are a group of 4 adults in our 50’s. Planning a self drive trip to Melbourne and Tasmania from 10 to 19 Nov this year.

This is our 1st trip to Tasmania and need some help on how to plan our itinerary. For those who have already been to Melbourne and Tasmania, your Trip experience are most appreciated. Eg. Accommodation, Domestic flights from Melbourne, Car rental, etc. Things to see and places to avoid as may not worth the time and effort. We like a combination of scenic drive, wineries, cafes, mountains, farms, etc. We are flying in to Melbourne Airport and back. Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne to Tasmania - 9 days Free & Easy. Help on Itinerar

You could easily spend all that time in Tasmania however I would suggest not attempting a road trip in both states, stay in Melbourne for 2-3 days then Tasmania for the remainder. Or skip one and spend all your time in the other.

If you hate that idea, then it’s going to be rushed. 2 nights in Melbourne, 2 nights on the Great Ocean Rd and 4 nights driving between Hobart and Launceston.

Would be easiest to fly into Hobart or Launceston in Tasmania and return to Melbourne via the other.

All the best.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,249 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne to Tasmania - 9 days Free & Easy. Help on Itinerar

Agree with Stephen. You won’t get “free and easy” but the exact opposite if you attempt both as road trips in that time frame. If you cannot extend your time to 2weeks, then I’d suggest that you spend most of your time in Tasmania and then return to Melbourne for your flight home.

Tasmanaia is a lot bigger than most first time visitors realise.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,711 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne to Tasmania - 9 days Free & Easy. Help on Itinerar

The "free and easy" question on these forums usually implies the intent to just cruise around without planning anything or making any bookings.

That won't work.

You need to start doing some detailed planning.

For the Tasmania part, you need to get onto the Tasmania, Hobart and Launceston forum pages and start by reading all the Top Questions on the right of those pages. There are also tabs for restaurants and hotels at the top of the pages there.

You need to work out what you want to see, where you want to go, then organise an itinerary in a logical, efficient sequence. The Top Questions will help with that.

OR you could wait here for the trip fairy to do it all for you. :)

Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne to Tasmania - 9 days Free & Easy. Help on Itinerar

Thanks and appreciate the guidance. Any places of interest In Tasmania that you can recommend?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne to Tasmania - 9 days Free & Easy. Help on Itinerar

"Any places of interest In Tasmania that you can recommend?"

This question, for any location, astounds me. Why did you choose Tasmania to visit if you have no idea about what is there to see and do???

I could recommend watching grass grow because it interests me but you may not be so keen.

Please - do some "actual" research yourself and then ask if you require clarification or more information.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,711 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne to Tasmania - 9 days Free & Easy. Help on Itinerar

Yes, I can recommend a great deal. And I have gone to great effort to write it all out in the Top Questions. You should read them.

California
Level Contributor
10,706 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne to Tasmania - 9 days Free & Easy. Help on Itinerar

This is the Great Ocean Road forum. If you want to inquire about Tasmania after doing some research of your own, you should post on the Tasmania forum. https:/…ShowForum-g255096-i887-Tasmania.html

Reply to: Melbourne to Tasmania - 9 days Free & Easy. Help on Itinerar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted