We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano to Mauna Lani - Will we go past Costco?

Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
Volcano to Mauna Lani - Will we go past Costco?

Our trip is rapidly approaching. Thanks to all of you for helping make the planning of this trip so much easier.

Final question:

We will land in Kona; drive to Hilo & stay 2 nights; then 2 nights at Volcano Military Camp. From there, we'll drive to Mauna Lani. Will we pass Costco on our way to ML?

Thank you, thank you!!!

Caroline

Canada
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Volcano to Mauna Lani - Will we go past Costco?

That will depend on which route you take... If you come through South Kona, then yes.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,528 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Volcano to Mauna Lani - Will we go past Costco?

Huh....

So how many nights total on the Big Island?

It is curious that you have chosen to stay 2nights Hilo....2 nights Volcano. They are but 45 minutes apart. I would suggest only one East side accommodation regardless of length of stay.

The Costco warehouse on the Big Island is on the west side ...north side of Kailua-Kona...off Hina Lani. Google map it.

If you travel the north route from Volcano to Mauna Lani( Hamakua route) then you will not pass the Costco. If you decide to travel the south route( not my favorite) ...then you will.

Seeking clarification...are you flying from East coast mainland on arrival day, and then travelling to the east side of the Island.....perhaps it is just an inter-island flight after a stay on a neighbour island??? Makes a difference.

Edited: 09 September 2014, 07:57
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
3. Re: Volcano to Mauna Lani - Will we go past Costco?

I too would not have done the drive to Hilo from KOA on arrival day - and four nights is a long time on the east side depending on your total time?

Agree that it depends what route you take and generally I wouldn't recommend taking the southern route but it does depend. What do you want at Costco that you don't think you can get elsewhere?

Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Volcano to Mauna Lani - Will we go past Costco?

We fly into Kona. We have relatives in Hilo, thus the reason for spending 2 nights there. I've been to Hilo before and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. We don't intend to do a heck of a lot while there - perhaps hitting a few buckets of golf balls at the municipal golf course, read, visit a waterfall, and just visit. We want to rest up a bit after our non stop flight fro Seattle before exploring. So, for us, a good way to start our trip.

Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Volcano to Mauna Lani - Will we go past Costco?

After Volcano, we spend 13 nights at a Mauna Lani condo.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
6. Re: Volcano to Mauna Lani - Will we go past Costco?

Ah ok, well that makes sense. So with 13 nights at the Mauna Lani you'll have plenty of time to drive the Hamakua Coast so after arriving at KOA I would drive across the Saddle to Hilo and then after your stay in Volcano you could drive the southern route up to the Kohala Clast and that will take you past Costco.

7. Re: Volcano to Mauna Lani - Will we go past Costco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2015, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast