We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any reason why we should not stay in VNP our last night

Cali
5 posts
Save Topic
Any reason why we should not stay in VNP our last night

The wife and I have a trip planned to the Big Island in September. We have decided to stay at Mauna Lani Bay Hotel. From reading some of the threads, it appears that a day trip to VNP is not recommended. I was considering staying in or around VNP our last night. Our flight out is at 10:15am. Any thoughts or concerns. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Mentioned in this post
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,392 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any reason why we should not stay in VNP our last night

<<"Our flight out is at 10:15am.">>

It depends on whether your flight is out of Kona or Hilo. If it's Hilo, OK, but if it's Kona, you would want to be on the west side for your last night.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any reason why we should not stay in VNP our last night

Right, you realistically could not make a flight out of KOA at 10:15am if you were staying in Volcano, it's a good three hour drive.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,498 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any reason why we should not stay in VNP our last night

So you would need to leave about 5 AM, and you would be in commute traffic too.

If there is an accident on a cross island route, it can close the road anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours, many spots have no viable detour around. In an injury accident, the police cannot reopen the road until they have completed the documentation as well as the ambulance and the cleanup. It's not fast.

Obviously that's not a daily occurrence, but it is not that rare either. Best not to set yourselves up to possibly miss your flight. I mean, I always wished I could miss the flight home, but ...

4. Re: Any reason why we should not stay in VNP our last night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 10:50