We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

Aloha! Can anyone help me find info on vow-renewals? My family will be staying in the Mauna Lani resort area next July. I'm not looking for a big wedding type affair just a simple beach gathering for the vow re-newewal ceremony, we can hold an after party elsewhere.. The searches that I have done direct me to the resort hotels and their wedding packages, it seems like there should be some simple options out there, I just haven't found them! Thanks for any info! Mindy

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,524 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

Simplest option is the one we did. We each wrote our own, read them to each other on the beach at sunset and asked a fellow visitor if they minded taking some pictures.

I think if you do a seach of the forums you will find options for simple paid ceremonies if a do it yourself does not work for you.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,807 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

I think it's likely that unless you plan to do what BB suggests below and not have guests or an official of some kind presiding, you'd need to follow the same process that one would for a beach wedding, which requires a permit and insurance (that's why most people use a third party wedding planner here, because of the insurance requirement). There are several small businesses that do these little ceremonies, I see Kona Weddings around a lot. But I would at least check with the Mauna Lani, they might well be able to help you for less than you think or refer you out.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

Yes, if anyone at all is paid for services and it is on the beach, then you are into permit territory. That includes minister and photographer -- I agree, if you want simple and inexpensive, then do your own.

I did my own wedding without paying anyone, wasn't that hard and no bills afterwards!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

Thank you for your ideas. I was concerned about permit requirements. I'm surprised that my search results were so limited! It seems like there would be a lot of couples looking to re-new their vows on the Big Island, to me it is the most beautiful place I've ever traveled too! But it's fine with me if others haven't discovered this piece of paradise! Maybe I should pack my bags, move to the island and start a business : ) Mahalo

Tonopah, Nevada
Level Contributor
71 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

We used: http://www.beachweddingshawaii.com/

They take care of all the permits, and are very easy to work with. I was constantly emailing her with questions, and I wanted our 2 year old incorporated into the ceremony, they had wonderful ideas for that..., now of course our daughter had other ideas.

We just renewed our vows, for our 20 year anniversary on August 5th Pennei was awesome and very patient considering our 2 year old cried through almost the entire ceremony. She slept from Hawi to the parking lot and was cranky we woke her up =(

But I would not change a thing!! It was amazing!!!

our vacation went way to fast, 16 nights was NOT long enough. =(

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

A lot of people renew their vows here as well as getting married here. It is not a question that is asked as much as some others, perhaps because people get a planner early on and go from there. There are several businesses doing it.

All you need to do is put big island hawaii wedding in a google search. Wedding planners and vow renewals are all the same people, same permit process.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

KamaainK, Did you have a minister/pastor? All I'm looking for is a sweet simple marriage blessing! : )

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

Mindy,

the first time yes (father of a friend), the second time no. I had a friend who played the role, and did it well.

I remember learning at the time (and I lived in California, not here), that we could get a non-ordained person authorized to perform a legal marriage, with an application, fee, and a short waiting period. But instead we decided to go do the legal part at City Hall and then had a marriage ceremony of our own creation with the help of a friend who knew us very well and gave us a ceremony that was personalized and a lot of fun for all.

PS. As you all can see, I am not big on utilizing the wedding industry. Everyone I know who has had the dream wedding is now divorced, so I am cynical about it. That is merely my experience, and I donʻt seek to impose it on anyone else. Let everyone have the wedding that is meaningful to him or her and their guests, big, small, medium ... I just hate to see when it stresses people out, so I suggest simplicity.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 08:13
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
21 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

Yes, I side with simple as well. We are going to Hawaii next year to celebrate our daughter's high school graduation. She is the one who brought up the whole vow-renewal idea as my husband and I will celebrate our 25th anniversary next summer as well. My husband and I never really were into the whole renewal...I was a teenage bride, we had a simple church wedding and that was fine, but now the thought of a renewal at our favorite place on earth is sounding kind of nice! But really I'm mostly interested in having some beautiful family photos taken! And if we are already looking good for the camera, then why not throw in a renewal celebration?!? As you can see I'm still talking myself into the renewal part! : ) Thanks for the help! Mindy

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,781 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vow-Renewal Ceremonies?

Interesting!

I donʻt really get the vow renewal movement, but is something that people choose to do and find meaningful, so I respect it, but I would never do it myself. I think that saying "forever" once is enough. If you need to say it again, then the first time you said it was not serious enough. I mean, the whole point of a vow is that you say it once but it binds you forever and doesnʻt expire with time. Nuns for example. Their nun commitment doesnʻt come up for renewal every so often. They took vows and they are for life. That is how I think, but obviously there is a whole industry that says I am wrong.

As for kids needing to see their parentsʻ make a commitment of love, itʻs supposed to work that it happens before the kids are around. Ideally. Not necessarily in practicality, but it really is one thing kids have no right to complain about, is that they missed their parentsʻ wedding and want a do-over. ;-)

Donʻt mind me, just having some fun.

I LOVE the idea of anniversaries. Romantic anniversaries, pics, setting, party, affirmations of continuing love, the whole nine yards. Repeating what were legally binding ceremonies is the part I do not get.

<ducks and covers>

Regardless, if you decide you want to do it, I hope it is amazing, and not too complicated or expensive, I sincerely do. Shea and I had drinks with a lovely poster named Cindy and her husband after their vow renewal, and I was very happy for them and they seemed quite happy. Cindy posted on a different thread on this topic not too long ago, about how much they liked their coordinator.