We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort w excellent snorkelling

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Resort w excellent snorkelling

Hi Guys,

My husband and I are travelling to Big Island in April and we are thinking of staying on the Kohala Coast for 6 nights. We love snorkeling, diving, hiking and stunning scenery.

Which resort has a good snorkeling beach? We will have a car and plan to travel around the island but I do love going for an early morning snorkel to start the day and prefer excellent places within walking distance.

We would prefer accommodation options that have a kitchen and a view. Budget is around $300-$400 pn.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort w excellent snorkelling

The Mauna Lani. Some of the best snorkeling in the state. Your budget will get you a beautiful, oceanfront condo at the Mauna Lani Point or Mauna Lani terrace, both a short walk to the lovely snorkel beach at Makaiwa.

Mentioned in this post
Mauna Lani Point
Mauna Lani Point
234 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort w excellent snorkelling

Thanks Shea!

I have Mauna Lani on my shortlist.Whats the main different between the Point & Terrace? I understand both are part of the same complex?

Also would VBRO be the best place to book?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort w excellent snorkelling

Shea, is Makaiwa publicly accessible if not staying at Mauna Lani?

Sorry to drop in on your thread.

Edited: 15 February 2017, 11:43
Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort w excellent snorkelling

Mauna Lani Point and the Terrace are two different condo complexes. The Point is south of Makaiwa, and the Terrace is just north of it. The Terrace is built around the fishponds. I would start with vrbo but when you find a unit you like, google it to see if you can find listings outside of vrbo for it, either with a management company or private owner website, as the fees may be less.

Peter, all beaches in Hawaii are public. The only issue with Makaiwa is the public access parking lot is a long way from the beach itself, about 2/3 of a mile.

Mentioned in this post
Mauna Lani Point
Mauna Lani Point
234 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
71 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort w excellent snorkelling

Thanks Shea. Love your work!!

6. Re: Resort w excellent snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2018, 10:47