We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

Chisago City...
Level Contributor
676 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

I'm getting close to booking a trip for the second half of November (woo hoo!). It is my husband and I, mid 30s, no kids. We're planning on 2 nights in Oahu (DH wants to see Pearl Harbor), then 12 nights on the BI. I've read tons and tons of info on this forum - thanks to all who contribute here! - and I've landed 4 nights in the Volcano area and 9 nights on the Kohala Coast. I'm working on the Kohala Coast lodging right now.

We're thinking of splitting the Kohala Coast portion of our stay and doing 4/5 nights in Kohala Estates and the other 4/5 nights at Mauna Lani Terrace (I already have 1st and 2nd choices there, waiting to book until I have everything figured out so I have some date flexibility if needed). I know there will be the moving time and the additional cleaning and VRBO fees, and we're ok with that. I also know they are not all that far apart; we are just looking to try out a couple different types of places because 1) we like to move around and 2) we like to have experience with a couple different locations/types of lodging for potential future visits.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these VRBOs?

https://www.vrbo.com/583097

https://www.vrbo.com/812675

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,198 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Chisago City...
Level Contributor
676 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

Sorry, typo - 13 nights on the BI :)

I also should say that we care much more about the location and outside space than the inside of the house.

Edited: 13 February 2017, 23:59
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

Comparing the two with no consideration of legal or not legal, I like the one lower down with the lawn and the shade. You said you didn't care much about the inside, but the clutter and too much art and decoration in the Lokelani one (Laughing Gecko) would bother me. I like the simplicity of the second house, and the view is drop dead gorgeous.

The higher one will have a more panoramic view of the Coast I think, but the lower one you can see more detail of the ocean.

This area is very hot and dry, but mid-November is just when it gets bearable there for day temps. In the summer I would not stay there without some water feature for cooling off.

As Shea mentioned recently in another topic, some Kohala Estates neighbors are getting cranky about rentals where they are not zoned. You should have at minimum a conversation on that with the owners and judge for yourself if they are being straight with you. Also make sure they do have a TAT license. I did not check for one.

Mentioned in this post
1,198 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Chisago City...
Level Contributor
676 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

Thanks for the reply, KK. I did see the topic about the legality of rentals in Kohala Estates, and plan to ask the owners about that and the TAT. I thought I'd try to pick one so I know who to call first :)

Mentioned in this post
1,198 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

Neither property appear to have air conditioning which could be an issue in November. It should be cooler higher up.

Chisago City...
Level Contributor
676 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

Boulders, re: the a/c issue - isn't it pretty breezy in this area? 583097 is a teeny bit higher up (not sure if higher enough to make any difference), I wonder if I would be better off with 812675 anyway, because the plantation style windows seem more secure to leave open at night. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

It can be breezy, it can also be dead still. It's a very, very hot area. Even in the dead of winter it's often in the mid 80s, and if it's still, and with little barriers to the sun, it can be baking. Especially if you're gone during the day and then come back after it's been locked up. It can be very difficult to cool down. I would want a pool, if no a/c, and I would also ask about fans, both floor and ceiling.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

Plantation style louvered windows are the easiest to break into. The glass strips pull right out. They talk about this on the news sometimes. Any house here can be broken into so the protection is more about location and good neighbors.

Chisago City...
Level Contributor
676 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

Thanks everyone.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

As a couple, I wouldn't want to stay in a 3 bedroom house that sleeps 6-7 people, which is true of both these places. I'd look for something better suited size-wise else to me it would seem like a lot of empty space.

~ Colleen

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to choose between two VRBOs for November stay

Well, very few people build couple-sized small homes in that area, other than ohanas, which are illegal in Kohala Estates' zoning. The cost of the land parcels makes it a poor investment to build a house that is small. One just closes off the extra rooms if the space is a bother, takes the master suite, and enjoys the large lanai space.

I agree wih Shea's assessment of pool or hot tub as a big plus. Of course that takes the price up. I lived there only part of one year, and it was as Shea described awfully hot, even the breeze hot because it comes from inland not the ocean.

However, I still remember how the heat finally broke around a Halloween, and I finally was able to enjoy the place all day instead of just morning and sunset. I think your dates are all right. What she says about closing the house up and how hot it gets is very true.

I've always lived without A/C in houses here, but I never close the windows. Ever, unless it's raining sideways. Not unless it's higher up in the 1000 foot and above range. With a rental, there can be security issues, so I'm not advising you to leave windows open. It depends on the situation whether you can.

Mentioned in this post
1,198 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI