We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will staying in Kamuela in December be too cold?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Will staying in Kamuela in December be too cold?

I am planning a 14 day trip to the Big Island at Christmas time 2017. I have stayed near HVNP and in Kona on two previous trips. I am planning to spend 3-4 nights near HVNP, and the rest of the time near Kohala for a change of scenery and because I haven't spent any time in that area. I prefer to rent houses, and I am looking at a house in Kamuela at 1,500 above sea level. Is that too high up? Will it get too cold at night? Below 65 degrees will be too cold for me.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,216 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,664 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will staying in Kamuela in December be too cold?

I think a link would help, because I'm not sure where you are.

Let's clear up some location names.

There is no place called Kamuela. The town Waimea has a post office name of Kamuela, but that is for mailing purposes. There are many businesses and so forth with Kamuela in the name, but again there is no town of Kamuela.

Kohala refers to two districts, north and south. South Kohala includes all of Waimea, so you would still be in Kohala with what you propose, not "near Kohala." I think you mean near the Kohala Coast.

Waimea is about 2,670 ft. In elevation, but you speak of 1500 feet, so I'm guessing you mean the in-between area off of Kawaihae Road, but I'm not sure. That area is much hotter and drier than Waimea -- actually the words hot and dry don't apply to Waimea proper at all, even to the so-called "dry side."

At 1,500 feet, you could expect the temps to dip in winter at night, yes. In Waimea, you could expect cold, rain, and biting cold wind in say the Parker Square vicinity.

Lastly, the subdivisions off Kawaihae Road are not zoned for short term rentals, and in the case of Anekona, for example, it's against the HOA rules as well.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,216 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kohala Coast
Kohala Coast
Island of Hawaii, HI
2. Re: Will staying in Kamuela in December be too cold?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2018, 23:47
Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast