We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from Baracoa to Gibara

Roma, Italia
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from Baracoa to Gibara

Hi! I will reach Baracoa from Santiago with Viazul and after ome days I want to continue to Gibara. Do you think it is possible to find a taxi from Baracoa to Gibara, better if passing through Moa? Do you have any reference of taxi driver or casa particular in order to arrange this trip? Thank you for your help!

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from Baracoa to Gibara

To go from Baracoa to Gibara via Moa, you would have to use one of the Jeep colectivos from Baracoa to Moa. I cannot imagine any regular taxi driver using their car on the route because of the road condition. The Jeep colectivos that run that route lost any function of the shock absorbers decades ago as well as any parts that could be shook loose. We recently did that but paid the premium price of 5 CUC each so we could wait at our casa until there were only 2 seats left then the driver picked us up plus we got the real seats up front and not sitting on the wooden benches in the back. From Moa to Holguin, we took a máquina (old American car colectivo) which was a few CUC. A máquina from Holguin to Gibara is 20 CUP or 80 cents.

You should have no problem getting a regular taxi from Baracoa to Holguin via Guantanamo and then on to Gibara but it could be very pricey. Money talks in Cuba just as everywhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Roma, Italia
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from Baracoa to Gibara

Thank you Bob for your infrmation. Do you know approximately how much can pay for the regular taxi from Baracoa to Holguin via Guantanamo?

Mentioned in this post
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
1,04,908 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from Baracoa to Gibara

taxivinalescuba.com/…

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from Baracoa to Gibara

As the taxivinalescuba link furnished by bellagio shows a fare of 195 CUC, I suspect you could find one yourself for somewhere around 160 CUC. The taxivinalescuba prices are the normal price plus a nice commission for them setting it up for you.

The Viazul fare for Baracoa to Santiago then another bus from Santiago to Holguin is 26 CUC. Their schedule is at Viazul.com

There are many colectivo trucks that run the Holguin - Santiago route. I suspect there is one that runs Guantanamo - Baracoa but do not know for sure. Be aware that traveling ala Cubano while cheap is very lacking in comfort and not for most foreigners.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from Baracoa to Gibara

@2 We paid 80 CUC for private taxi for that route which is about the price we always pay for a whole day trip whether it be one way or return.

We 'foreigners' unlike Bob and his partner are not into travelling "ala Cubana" ja ja.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 12:52
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from Baracoa to Gibara

We always advise using the Taxi Vinales site as a guide and then working on negotiating a private taxi for 1/2 to 2/3 that price for a particular route.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Taxi from Baracoa to Gibara
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guantanamo Province