We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking to the ancient monastery of Gunda Gundo

Trieste, Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trekking to the ancient monastery of Gunda Gundo

Hi to everybody,

I would like to share my experience of a three days trekking to the remote monastery of Gunda Gundo. For now is still a non touristic place. Me and my husband were there completely alone (with the guide). It’s an amazing place, with beautiful views, canyons and banana and orange gardens. The Irob people who live there are very friendly. The landscape is completely different of the other parts of Tigray. We spent there two nights, one in a tent and one in a local house. We had a bath in the river under thousands of stars and a lunch in an orange garden. Unfortunately the women can’t enter into the monastery, but the monks brings outside the walls the ancient manuscripts, so I was able to saw them. The trek was organized by the Gheralta Lodge for a honest price that include the first night in the lodge (very charming). Very recommended!

Marty

1 reply
Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking to the ancient monastery of Gunda Gundo

it is a very good experience, the Gondagundo is one of the monasteries which are not easily access able, I did a trek 5 years a go through EdagaHamos, it was 5 hours one ways, very difficult cliff around the monastery. Women are not allowed to most of the monasteries,unless the monasteries are specifically for women, like monasteries on lake Tana..

Reply to: Trekking to the ancient monastery of Gunda Gundo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted