We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Awesome, experienced guide: Chuchu Yohannes

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Awesome, experienced guide: Chuchu Yohannes

There's already a topic on Chuchu, but I figured he deserved another one. We took a six-day trip through the South with Chuchu. We had some doubts beforehand because of the things we read about the region - especially the pressure to just take pictures of the tribes, pay and go. On the other hand, the tribes are a crucial and fascinating part of Ethiopia we felt we couldn't miss out on.

We told Chuchu about our concerns and he really tried to make the experience worthwhile for us. We spent a night at a Hamer village with people he knows really well and who trust him, so that made it easier for us to stay there without any hassle or pressure. With the Arbore people, he negotiated a fixed price so that we wouldn't have to stand there and select certain people who looked 'best' for the picture, which he knew made us uncomfortable. Overall, Chuchu is very good at estimating what kind of person you are and what you want to get out of the experience, and he will try and get you exactly that. Chuchu knows a lot about the region and about the tribes, and he basically knows everyone: in every place we visited, people were enthousiastically greeting him.

Finally, last but definitely not least: he is an amazing, smart and kind person and I thoroughly enjoyed all the talks we had about life over a Walia beer. I learned a lot from him, not only about the South but about living, building a life and being young in Ethiopia in general. If I ever come back I will definitly take another trip with him.

You can find Chuchu here, he always replies very quickly: http://www.konso-tours.com/

1 reply
Addis Ababa...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Awesome, experienced guide: Chuchu Yohannes

I have known Chuchu since 2013 when I take my clients to Konso. I always wanted him to be a guide for my clients. He speaks quite good English on top of that he has a lot of experience about this area Konso in particular and he helps a lot if he is asked about the Tribes.

Reply to: Awesome, experienced guide: Chuchu Yohannes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted