We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renovations during summer of 2015

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Renovations during summer of 2015

My partner and I will be celebrating my partner's 50th birthday and were about to proceed with booking a deluxe water villa for 5 days 4 nights (June 12-16 2015). Our travel agent shared a communication from Jamie Crisp Director of Sales: The resort is earmarked for renovations April 19 to August 22 in 2015. Should we be concerned? Will this disrupt the ambiance and enjoyment of our "bucket list" - possibly once in a lifetime - trip? Even though we would like to proceed with making a booking we feel rather apprehensive. Is there a way to get the resort's reassurance that it will be business as usual during this time? That guests won't be subjected to loud construction noises and eye sore renovations? After all this is a special celebration that is costing us more than a pretty penny and we need to choose well. Thank you for your feedback....

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

Lynphd.....agree about the reef at Centara Grand. I know it's not a popular island at all on here at all but we had a brilliant holiday there and the snorkelling was really very very good. And yes we would go back!

dorset
Level Contributor
110 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

Hi I am staying at Centara grand in April while we are there they will be renovating the luxury sunset water villas. We are staying in the beach suite and then deluxe water villa so we shouldn't be affected too much. I have a map and dates to show what is being renovated when. The dates your thinking they will be doing some luxury sunset water villas, the luxury beach villa and 6 beach villas. If your thinking of staying in a deluxe water villa on the dates you wanted it shouldnt affect your accommodation fingrs crossed.

Sandy, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

Hi all are they updating all the accomodations? thanks

Level Contributor
1 post
75 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

No idea what to do. We added Kuramathi onto our tour of Sri Lanka. Kuoni suggested Kuramathi and after much extensive research of the resorts in their brochure this really was the one for us. However, when we went back in to book they told us the Deluxe Beach Villas were out of action due to building work. Looking back at our research and being constantly reassured we would not be affected, we booked into a Superior Beach Villa. This has obviously cost us more but we are on the opposite side of the island away from the work.

We are due to fly there in late August and received a phone call today from Kuoni stating as others have done what will be closed / open and have been reassured we won't be affected.

So undecided whether to move or read reviews in May and see what others make of the experience.

We're here for 5 nights and haven't been offered any compensation which is poor. Don't really know what we can do now. This is our honeymoon and a once in a lifetime trip and certainly not what I want to experience on an idyllic Island retreat.

Not a lot of islands have the range of restaurants for the price point of Kuramathi and not all offer parasailing which I really want to do.

Changing our holiday I've now paid for the extra flight from Colombo to Male but I'm now thinking the Maldives isn't the best option this year. Totally confused.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

This thread is about Centara.

You booked knowing about the building work at Kura so what has changed your mind? Reethi Beach offers very good Select Ai so consider swapping to that.

Edited: 04 April 2015, 16:31
16. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2017, 19:47
Get answers to your questions about Centara Grand Island