We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renovations during summer of 2015

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Renovations during summer of 2015

My partner and I will be celebrating my partner's 50th birthday and were about to proceed with booking a deluxe water villa for 5 days 4 nights (June 12-16 2015). Our travel agent shared a communication from Jamie Crisp Director of Sales: The resort is earmarked for renovations April 19 to August 22 in 2015. Should we be concerned? Will this disrupt the ambiance and enjoyment of our "bucket list" - possibly once in a lifetime - trip? Even though we would like to proceed with making a booking we feel rather apprehensive. Is there a way to get the resort's reassurance that it will be business as usual during this time? That guests won't be subjected to loud construction noises and eye sore renovations? After all this is a special celebration that is costing us more than a pretty penny and we need to choose well. Thank you for your feedback....

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

I think you should definitely choose another resort. Centara Grand is a very small island and any noise from building work will be disruptive. The resort is probably unable to offer reassurance for this reason. Any reassurance they did offer could probably be taken with a pinch of salt.

Because Centara Grand is marketed at families with children, with its USP being child-safe water bungalows, it's not usually the first choice for a romantic break. These families will also be much less affected by any noise as they will not be looking for peace and quiet in the first place.

An adult only island such as Komandoo or Maayafushivaru or the beautiful Athuruga - which does allow children but has a wonderful reef - would be great alternatives.

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

I think it depends what the refurbishment program entails. I've been on 2 islands that were undertaking routine refurbishment which had zero effect on our stay. In one case beach villas were being reroofed and updated (Velavaru) and in the other the central restaurant was being reroofed and an erosion barrier was being built up (Angaga). However more significant work will generate more noise and upheaval and as Xarla says its hard to get away from it on a small island - and could certainly have more of an impact over an ultra short stay period.

Jamie has posted on this forum before (although in the past its been in connection with Centara Ras Fushi rather than Centara Grand) so there is a possibility that he will respond to your concerns.

In order to give you an idea of alternatives should you wish them the forum regulars would need to know what attracted you to Centara Grand in the first place? budget? and any other criteria you had.

Just as an aside depending on the timings of your international flights your 5 days 4 nights could work out at nearer 3 full days. 2 half days (arrival and departure days) and 4 nights.

Xarla has given you the adult only islands (Komandoo and Maafushivaru) although Baros also restricts children under 8.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

I hope they are not tempted by the other Centara.

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

Thanks for your comments everyone. We were initially interested in lily beach, however given that this will be our first time to the Maldives we decided to opt for something less pricey. The water villas and all inclusive packages is a big attraction as is variety in meals (like the Thai restaurant). Good Snorkeling too is relevant. Any other suggestions? Thanks again!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

All the islands mentioned by myself and Heather have excellent snorkelling (better than CG) and good all inclusive packages. Komandoo and Baros have a variety of eating options.

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

There were some minor works going on at Komandoo (sports ground in the middle of the island I think) when I was there in October. It wasn't disruptive per se, but it was noticeable for short periods on a couple of afternoons. It didn't ruin anything, but I think I probably pulled a petulant face when it happened!

It would depend on the nature of the works and how sensitive to noise you are, but any resort is going to downplay it. You've no way of knowing, so it's down to if you want to take the risk. Personally I would look elsewhere as it's too far to come and not enjoy it. For food you will find a good variety at most resorts, so unless you dislike buffet, for such a short visit I can't see you getting bored with food.

Definitely recommend Komandoo if they have rooms available.

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

My wife and I went to the Anantara for our honeymoon on May 2014. We absolutely loved it! I have some videos of the resort on my channel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxxyG49XSOA

Isle of Skye...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

Are you going to post this on every thread?

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,636 posts
321 reviews
9. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

If you go AI on Komandoo then your meals will be in the buffet restaurant. You can pay extra to eat in Aqua, the a la cate restaurant, but I don't think it's open every day. The snorkelling is very good.

Xarla - I'm interested to know how you arrived at Komandoo, Baros, Maafushivaru all having better snorkelling than CG? I thought that the reef itself at CG didn't look too bad from photos I've seen before.

Edited: 05 February 2015, 11:36
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Renovations during summer of 2015

Not sure what your budget is - less pricey means different things to different people.

Variety in meals means a choice of restaurants and many of the smaller islands will only offer one or two. You also need to remember that AI in the Maldives means something different in each resort so you need to check each individual plan- only a handful offer a fully inclusive AI plan (more akin to the resorts of the Caribbean) and with that you are most likely to be restricted to the buffet restaurant.

Based on dine around options you could have a look at Kuramathi and Reethi Beach. Both offer a selection of restaurants on their Select AI package. I haven't been to Kura but Reethi's reef is okay, certainly good enough to fill 3/4 days of snorkelling although there are better reefs. Both offer water villas although Reethi's are semi detached and a little utilitarian looking - I much preferred their beach bungalows. If you can do without a WV then Kurumba offers a good choice of restaurants on a dine around option and has a decent reef - it is close to Male though and whereas it will give you the option of more time in resort (transfer from the airport is around 10 minutes) you are unlikely to get that desert island feel.

If you can deal with just having one buffet restaurant then Athuruga and Thudufushi both have perhaps the most inclusive AI plans, WVs and good reefs (most give Athuruga the edge).

Get answers to your questions about Centara Grand Island