We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving at MLE at 8:10PM...go to resort next day??

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Arriving at MLE at 8:10PM...go to resort next day??

I found flights from Kuala Lumpur to MLE, but they arrive at 810PM, and if we go to the resort, we would basically be paying for day. Would anyone recommend just staying the night in Male and then taking the seaplane transfer in the morning to the resort? Seems to be a better value cuz then we dont lose a whole day and pay for it.

7 replies to this topic
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving at MLE at 8:10PM...go to resort next day??

If you are going to a resort which only has a seaplane transfer then you will have to wait until the next day anyway as the seaplanes only fly in daylight hours.

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving at MLE at 8:10PM...go to resort next day??

Were planning to stay at the Centara Grand Resort--are you familiar with their seaplane transfers? I was thinking we would get the best value if we just go in the morning, rather than late in the evening. Thoughts?

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving at MLE at 8:10PM...go to resort next day??

You can't get to CG by seaplane the same evening if you arrive that late anyway. Some resorts offer an alternative late transfer by domestic flight but I haven't seen CG offering this. If they only offer seaplane transfers and you want to arrive on that late flight you will have to wait until the next morning to go to CG.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving at MLE at 8:10PM...go to resort next day??

According to the official CG web site you can ask them to arrange a late night domestic flight (not seaplane):

"Evening Transfers to Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives: In the event of late arrival and to avoid an overnight stay in Male', we offer guests to fly from Velana International Airport in Male' (MLE) to Maamigili Airport (South Ari Atoll) operated by FlyMe from which the resort is only a further 15 minutes away by speedboat. For more information please contact us at cirm@chr.co.th"

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving at MLE at 8:10PM...go to resort next day??

thank you for that information! I think with two 4 yr olds, Ill opt to stay at a hotel that evening in Male, near the airport, and then just arrange to go there the next day. Feeling refreshed and ready. Im getting my terms all mixed up..seaplanes, domestic transfers, etc. I didnt know there was another airport in the Maldives.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving at MLE at 8:10PM...go to resort next day??

Yes there are a few domestic airports.

There is only the Hulhule island hotel near the airport. But there are some guest houses on the man made extension of the island (Hulhumale). Otherwise you need to take the public ferry to cross over to Male capital itself (separate island) if that is where you really want to stay.

If you select a resort which is a speedboat transfer from the airport then you could go straight there the same evening, unless you don't want to pay for that night in a resort as you mentioned initially.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving at MLE at 8:10PM...go to resort next day??

I would agree to wait till the next day but do not presume you will be on the earliest flight time. You may have to wait till planes land from other parts of the world to get a seaplane full.

You will not know your transfer time until you arrive at Male

Reply to: Arriving at MLE at 8:10PM...go to resort next day??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Centara Grand Island