We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomastown, Ireland

Sonoma County, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Thomastown, Ireland

Is Thomastown a nice place to stay in? Orignally I was planning to stay in Kilkenny but would consider a small town outside Kilkenny, visit Kilkenny during the day as long as there was something of interest in Thomastown. My daughter might do a trail ride in Thomastown. Is there any night life in Thomastown? Thanks.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Thomastown, Ireland

I would say Thomastown is a great place to stay, but that is from my point of view. Looking at it from your and your daughter's point of view, I would say that probably Kilkenny would be better for you. The nightlife of Thomastown is mainly pub life. There are still plenty of pubs to choose from, but they are all 'locals'. That does not mean to say that visitors are not welcome, but they mainly only come to life at the weekends. Weekends in Thomastown can be very lively, especially in the summer.

However, in Kilkenny there is something on nearly every night, plus cinema, theatre, bowling, etc. etc.Plus loads of good shopping opportunities.

The other consideration is that there is more choice of accommodation in Kilkenny. However, if you are thinking of staying at Mount Juliet itself, then I would highly recommend (especially if you can get a good deal). This other alternative is a very good B&B Abbey House, although, again, these two choices might not suit your daughter as neither are within comfortable walking distance of the town.

Possibly you might consider spending just one night in Thomastown for the experience and for the closeness to Mount Juliet.

Thomastown is definitely a lively little town, but it is very small.

County Tipperary...
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
1 review
2. Re: Thomastown, Ireland

You may be thinking in terms of Kilkenny being a city. It is, but on nothing like the scale of most cities around the world. You can easily walk the city in a couple of hours, it really has only two or three main streets. There is lots to see though, and many attractive villages around.

I agree with Irishrover about Thomastown, a nice little town, but not a lot going on for entertainment during the week.

Sonoma County, CA
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Thomastown, Ireland

Thank you both very much for your reply! It is very helpful. Mt. Juliet looks fabulous but staying there is out of our price range so I will book something in Kilkenny.

4. Re: Thomastown, Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 22:51
Get answers to your questions about Thomastown