We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus or train to Dublin

Boston...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bus or train to Dublin

Hello all,

Seeing opinions on taking the bus vs train from Cobh to Dublin. I see the bus is very inexpensive and about a 30 minute drive from Bella Vista where we’ll be staying. Thoughts or opinions on what is better?

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus or train to Dublin

Are you considering parking in Cork and then getting the bus to Dublin? Parking costs will wipe out any cheaper fare on the bus.

Otherwise, the advantage of the train is that it is a simple change in Cork train station, albeit with around half an hour between the trains.

You could also take the train to Cork and then a bus to Dublin, with about a 10 minute walk between the two. There is a wait of around 30 minutes for a GoBE bus or an hour for an Aircoach bus.

Boston...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus or train to Dublin

We will not have a car so parking is non-issue. Do you know where I can lookup prices for train tickets?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus or train to Dublin

Your best bet is to book online in advance as fares will be cheaper. The price will be displayed on the website. If you are booking beyond the end of the period currently on sale, you could just try a date 6 weeks or so from now as a sample booking and that is likely to be as cheap as it gets.

Because they are expensive, I wouldn't recommend a walk-up fare, but if you want to check the price, they can be looked up here

railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc_2018.p…

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus or train to Dublin

Irish Rail web fares here, shown as single/one-way price, when booked online and in advance (up to 90 days ahead of date of travel, ordinarily):

http://www.irishrail.ie/webfares

Edited: 02 August 2018, 22:18
Boston...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus or train to Dublin

THank you everyone! I checked the site and it does say luggage is allowed - does this include a checked bag for Airplane sized luggage as well?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
4,353 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus or train to Dublin

There is no checked baggage. You can bring what you can carry yourself eg a large bag and a small bag.

Boston...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus or train to Dublin

That’s fine. I’m just asking if a larger bag, i.e. one that you would normally check on an airplane can fit on the train?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus or train to Dublin

You’ll be using 2 very different trains.

The train from Cobh to Cork is a commuter train. There is no real storage for large luggage, but you can leave it on the floor somewhere out of the way and sit nearby.

From Cork to Dublin, you can either put large luggage between the seats where they are back to back, or you can use a rack at the end of the carriage. As you’ll be getting on at the first station and will have some time to kill, you can just board early and get a suitable spot first.

Boston...
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus or train to Dublin

Thank you!!!!

Reply to: Bus or train to Dublin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cobh