We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eclipse

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
27,041 posts
80 reviews
Eclipse

This must rank as the biggest disappointment of the year, or even the decade. There were dire warnings, not of the end of the world, but of considerable darkness. In the end it was just like a normal dull day in Ireland. I did get a slight glimpse of it through the clouds at 0930, and even got a photo. Did anyone else think that it was spectacular?

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
29,064 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: Eclipse

The sun is finally coming out now in Limerick.

But it started as a dull dank and damp day, very much in contrast to recent days. It got a bit darker and darker and at about 9.15 the birds started to sing very loudly. Then they stopped and while it was dark with a bit of glare, there was no need to turn on the lights. That was at about 9.28 when we were forecast to be at the peak. Then it started to get gradually brighter and the birds started a cacophony once more. I looked out at the sky on a number of occasions and my eyes are still as bad as they were before I started :o))

Would I have known there was something going on, had I not learned about it in the media and from others? Absolutely not.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,209 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Eclipse

There was hazy sunshine here in the run up to the eclipse.

At least it was visible, but it was enough cloud that using a pinhole projector didn't work :-(

It was also only 92% this far south, which wasn't really enough for it to get properly dark.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,519 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Eclipse

we saw it through hazy cloud, the sun went down to a ) , like a smile in the sky, we were impressed!!

I was more impressed that i went to the drawer where I put our sets of eclipse glasses in 1999 after returning home from Cornwall and they were still there, (we moved the little cupboard as it stood, contents included!).

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
680 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Eclipse

Nakagoli, you think it's the biggest disappointment of the decade? Really?

Politics, sport, the economy, art, books, films, television etc., nothing among those pursuits is more disappointing in the last decade than an eclipse that you actually got a photo of? It's Ireland! Every meteor shower every year happens on an overcast night! The weather was predicted to be cloudy, so you should have expected a poor show. I managed to get a glimpse of the moon covering two-thirds of the sun, and that is quite rare enough to be exciting. Only a full solar eclipse creates the darkness that you may have been expecting. Don't give up, there'll be another one along in eleven years!

Beaufort, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
126 reviews
5. Re: Eclipse

Was dark and got foggy here from 9am onwards. People driving with headlights on. Got bright quite quickly @ 9.40 - 9.45. Fog burned off pretty fast. Couldn't actually see the eclipse.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
27,041 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: Eclipse

myround. yes, the brief hazy glimpse that i got was almost total, (95%) but it was not dark! i was out walking and there were no lights on, even on the cars with auto headlights. it was the same as if it was just about to rain (which it actually did!) but i dont know if i will be around in 2026, alas. but my point was that we were being told that it would be like nightfall, and it wasnt! just another normal dull day.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
29,064 posts
88 reviews
7. Re: Eclipse

Waterford Whispers News have a really good report on it :o))

waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/…

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
29,064 posts
88 reviews
8. Re: Eclipse

Well, Good news for Nakagoli and all those disappointed with today's eclipse (courtesy of the WWN once more lol!!) The first event is the one that will excite you :o)

waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/…

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
27,041 posts
80 reviews
9. Re: Eclipse

wow! thats great. do you think that they could get a week out of it? after all, garth brooks said it was 5 shows or nothing. do you think that waterford co co would be amenable?

10. Re: Eclipse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2017, 02:45
Get answers to your questions about Malahide