We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malahide to Slane Castle

Butler PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Malahide to Slane Castle

Hi. We are a group of six people who will be staying two nights in Malahide before our return trip to the US. We will be attending a concert at Slane castle the night before we leave. Can anyone advise the best method to get to Slane and back considering the crowds etc. We do have a rental car but don't know about parking etc. Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Malahide
Malahide
County Dublin, Ireland
Slane Castle
Slane Castle
162 Reviews
Slane, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Malahide to Slane Castle

Hi Carol

There will be a series of shuttle bus services both from (Dublin) City and neighbouring larger towns closer to Slane.

Personally, I wouldnt consider driving. There will be parking facilities - neighbouring farmers usually open fields etc, but as the village itself is always closed to traffic (only open for locals, and most don't bother with the crowds), it would involve a walk, sometimes a considerable one. Traffic management is always policed so there is no way of getting through unless you have a permit.

My suggestion would be take the train from Malahide to Drogheda and take the Shuttle service that Bus Eireann usually provides from their Drogheda Bus Station (I have used it myself in the past).

If you'd like to remind me closer to the time, I'll provide the current local information for you as to the schedule etc. You could then do the journey in reverse after the concert.

Have you booked your accommodation in Malahide? I know that some of the more local hotels provide packages for overnight B&B and free transport to/from the events.

Here's hoping the wind will blow in the right direction for both concerts this year, and I will enjoy in the comfort of my garden (getting too old for the hastle of attending!!)

Hope this helps :-)

Edited: 27 January 2013, 17:14
Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Malahide
Malahide
County Dublin, Ireland
Drogheda
Drogheda
County Louth, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malahide to Slane Castle

Me again!

Just checked the Irish Rail website, and currently the last train from Drogheda to Connolly Station is 22.05 which would probably cut things tight for you. I'm not sure if Irish Rail provide additional services on the route for events such as this (if not, they should).

Also, there may be local coach providers from the Malahide/Swords area who would provide transport to/from the concert for locals. You may be able to book a seat with them.

If you have your accommodation booked in Malahide, a query to your host may be able to assist with this.

Mentioned in this post
Drogheda
Drogheda
County Louth, Ireland
Malahide
Malahide
County Dublin, Ireland
Swords
Swords
County Dublin, Ireland
Butler PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malahide to Slane Castle

Thank you both for your replies. We are considering taking a walking tour in Dublin that AM and then taking the rail transportation from Dublin to the concert. I did manage to find the rail service website which I agree would be cutting it very close.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
4. Re: Malahide to Slane Castle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 12:47
Get answers to your questions about Malahide