We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So...here we come!

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
So...here we come!

Hello,

I would appreciate any advice, wisdom, suggestions on things to include or even random thoughts on our plans for our week's stay in Kenmare!

I will be arriving in Shannon on June 25 with a group of friends and family, teens on up, 13 in total. We'll be self-catering in Kenmare for a week. We have booked a coach service to pick us up at the airport and provide day transportation. I posted a few months back for advice on which day trips to take and the general opinion was that among the choice of tours, all would be enjoyable, although some might make for a long day.

Here's what we've come up with:

Saturday, June 25 AM pick-up at Shannon, visit Adare on the way to Kenmare. (Anything else you think would be a good stop along the way?)

Sunday-Friday We'll spend one day at each of the following, but don't have any certain order for which place each day :

1) Dingle and Slea Head drive

2) R of K, hope to visit Skellig chocolates and Kissane's sheep farm on this day, (or put sheep farm on the Killarney day?)

3) Killarney National Park

4 )Blarney Castle and Gougane Barra

5) Midleton and Cobh (Have been advised this is a long drive!)

6)Wednesday will be a 1/2 day to most likely either Derrynane Beach or Gleninchaquin (and the Secret Tea Room!) .

On Sunday we'll stop at the Rock of Cashel on the drive to Dublin.

That's the plan, which is still flexible.

So what do you think? Are there any places that would be better to visit on a particular day of the week? I know our driver will have great suggestions for Pubs and restaurants, but do you have a favorite that we should try to include?

I am beyond excited for this trip! 11 of the 13 in our group have not visited Ireland before, and I will have the pleasure of watching them experience its' wonders for the first time. Thank you for looking this over, and thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Shannon
Shannon
County Clare, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Slea Head Drive
Slea Head Drive
1,016 Reviews
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Dingle Skellig Hotel
Dingle Skellig Hotel
1,772 Reviews
Dingle, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney National Park
Killarney National Park
6,189 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Isle of Barra
Isle of Barra
Outer Hebrides, UK
Cobh
Cobh
County Cork, Ireland
Derrynane Beach
Derrynane Beach
285 Reviews
Caherdaniel, Ireland
Gleninchaquin
Gleninchaquin
572 Reviews
Kenmare, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So...here we come!

I've been in Kenmare for two weeks now and will be here for the next two weeks, too. First- it's a long drive to Dingle and Slea Head. I cane from Dingle yesterday and it's at least two hours from Dingle town not counting stops on Slea Head.

ROK is definitely doable in one day though it will be a longish day.

Gougane Barra is fun. Also see the Toy Soldier's Factory.

Frankly, I don't quite get why you're coming to Kenmare and not seeing the Ring of Beara. This is, to me, the most interesting of the peninsulas and you're staying in the best town to visit it. I agree about Gleninchaquin if you feel like a good walk but I'm sorry to report that the Secret Tea Room has permanently closed. Please ask if you have any specific questions about Kenmare. There are a few Destination experts for Kenmare and they're all very helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Isle of Barra
Isle of Barra
Outer Hebrides, UK
Ring of Beara
Ring of Beara
141 Reviews
Kenmare, Ireland
Gleninchaquin
Gleninchaquin
572 Reviews
Kenmare, Ireland
Moosup, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So...here we come!

Bunratty Folk Park and Castle opens 9am or The Flying Boat Museum www.flyingboatmuseum near Limerick (opens 9:30am) might be of interest before heading down to Adare.

Mentioned in this post
Bunratty
Bunratty
County Clare, Ireland
Limerick
Limerick
County Limerick, Ireland
Adare
Adare
County Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So...here we come!

paulkris,

Lucky you! An entire month in Kenmare, I hope you're having a blast!

I am really glad you chimed in about Beara. I have always wanted to visit that pub that graces the cover of McCarthy's Bar. Now I'll need to convince the troops ...take a day away from Cork county or omit R of K? Thoughts anyone?

SissyBiff2 thanks for the suggestions, both sound appealing!

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So...here we come!

If it were me I'd do this. Devote half a day to ROK. You can drive from Kenmare to Portmagee and then take the Skellig Ring to St. Finan's Bay and Skellig Chocolates. Then back to Kenmare. By the way, just westt of Waterville you will see a Texaco station/hardware store. They have the best home made macraoons that you will ever find. I drive two hours to get them.

You need to do Beara. And McCarthy's bar is a wonderful place.

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle Skellig Hotel
Dingle Skellig Hotel
1,772 Reviews
Dingle, Ireland
Waterville
Waterville
County Kerry, Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So...here we come!

paulkris,

Thank you! You've convinced me, and by modifying the R of K, we can include it as our half day. BTW, we're also from Ohio. You're missing a May heatwave with high humidity and thunderstorms, so enjoy lighting a cosy peat fire for me!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
117 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So...here we come!

Jendandy-- I looked at your postings from last August & it looks like there was some good advice offered there. I would second the recommendation of Lorge Chocolatier near Bonane on the N71 south of Kenmare.

The sheep farm is on the way to Killarney National Park -- I'd combine the two. Gougane Barra is great & you can do it the same day as Blarney Castle -- if you'd like a quickish stop near Gougane Barra, Carriganass Castle is about 12 miles south on the R584 at Kealkill. It's a small ruin & there are some walking trails around the village.

Paul's advice on ROK is good and, as he says, Beara is a must do. In lieu of the Tea Room, you might want to try Josey's Lakeview restaurant, which is nearby (Laragh / near Glanmore Lake).

Our favorite pub in Kenmare town is Crowley's -- no pub grub or kitchen, just music (most nights) and friendly people. If you like to treat yourself to fresh pastry in the morning, try the Breadcrumb or Jam Cafe. The SuperValu is a nice supermarket, but the local butchers sell good value packages of meat for around €20-22 (assorted chicken, chops, beef) if you're feeding a crew; we usually went to O'Sullivan's near the Tourist Office, & there are others that also are good. Kenmare is a great town & we're missing not being there this year (self-catered there in 2014 & 2015).

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney National Park
Killarney National Park
6,189 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Isle of Barra
Isle of Barra
Outer Hebrides, UK
Blarney
Blarney
County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So...here we come!

TMac,

Thanks for your great suggestions. I don't know how we missed Jam and Breadcrumb on our last visit, but plan to indulge this time. Some in our group plan on preparing a few of their own meals, so they'll appreciate the local butchers. Hope you have a chance to return to Kenmare soon.

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So...here we come!

There are a few new places in Kenmare, too. The French Bakery is giving Jam a run for their money and Poff's Cafe is where the old bakery was. Also, Mick and Jimmy's has opened across the street from Bella Vita.

The Super Valu has some very tasty prepared foods and also freshly prepared vegetables ready for the oven. The Farmer's Market is on Wednesdays and is great, too.

Enjoy your stay in Kenmare. It's a great place.

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
20,290 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So...here we come!

Greetings jendandy,

Really enjoyed my visits to the The Bridge Street Co-Op & Bookstop Cafe in Kenmare.

kenmare.ie/members/…

Another chocolate addict recommending Lorge Chocolatier in Bonane.

http://shop.lorge.ie/

Below a recent thread on the Beara Peninsula, including McCarthy's Bar in Castletownbere.

https:/…74883413

Wishing you a magical & memorable visit in Ireland.

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 30 May 2016, 13:15
Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
117 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So...here we come!

Paul -- I see what you mean: Poff's has taken over the Breadcrumb's space; thanks for the update. The reviews on TA are good. Sorry to see the Breadcrumb go, though.