We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in kenmare.ideas on things to do

Save Topic
2 days in kenmare.ideas on things to do

My husband and I will be arriving in kenmare Monday mid day and staying until Wednesday late afternoon. A friend gave us suggestions to see the ring of beara and dingle Peninsula but I want to check the drive time by car and feasibility since we are limited on time. We definitely want to see the amazing views along the way but make sure we don't use so much time in the car

Any other suggestions in driving directions or other things to see from kenmare would be appreciated

Also he wants ( of course ) amazing bangers and mash or Irish meal so if you can provide top 2 or 3 restaurant suggestions in kenmare I would appreciate it

Thanks everyone! !

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in kenmare.ideas on things to do

Kenmare is a good place to start from if you want to see the Ring of Beara but it involves driving. If you'd like a walk, if it's a fine day, you might check out Gleninchaquin Park. It's a working farm with an admission charge but has some great trails and one of the best waterfalls in Ireland. You could also go down to Glengarriff and take the boat over to Garnish Island. many people enjoy that visit. If you're feeling more adventurous you can drive over the Healy Pass which connects the north and south roads of the Ring of Beara.

For dining, it sounds as if your husband wants a pub meal. O'Donnaibhan's in Kenmare does some very nice Irish dishes. The more refined restaurants in town will have excellent food but I don't know if I'd call them authentic. Just outside town is the Sailors Bar which has the best fresh seafood you'll find. It's ver popular with the locals, as well as with visitors. There's a relatively new place in kenmare called Mick and Jimmy's. Mick is the previous owner of Bella Vita which was (and probably still is) great. I'll be in Kenmare in a few weeks and Mick and Jimmy's will be one of my first stops.

Have a great trip!

Province of...
Level Contributor
596 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in kenmare.ideas on things to do

Your time is very limited for doing anything more around kenmare than outlined above. Beara will take time. the full ring is 140km and the enjoyable part of it is stopping at the different locations along the way.

Such stops are at Ardigole, the beautiful Healy Pass; Lauragh Village; CastletownBere.

Get the boat to see the stone circles on Bere Island.

You can take a cable car to Dursey Island.

By the time you have all of that done you will not have much time or energy for much more.

You certainly will not have time to do the Dingle Peninsula as well.

I am assuming that you will be going towards Limerick, or that general direction on Wednesday.

You could consider a slight detour on Wednesday morning by going over the Ballaghbeama mountain pass towards Killorglin. Take a left before Killorglin and drive by Caragh Lake and back into Killorglin.

This route will take a little over an hour and a quarter-it is 77km taking in Caragh Lake or or 60km going direct to Killorglin- and Killorglin to Castleisland is a lively 30km.

Whatever you decide have a great time

3. Re: 2 days in kenmare.ideas on things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2017, 10:47