We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring of Kerry drive or tour bus?

Wildwood, Missouri
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ring of Kerry drive or tour bus?

I was reading an older post re driving the ROK and now I'm starting to feel a little terrified about the roads! I've not been to Ireland before, and never driven on the left side of the road. I was thinking about just following the buses and stop when they stop, but since I'll be alone, should I just go ahead and take an actual bus? The only way I'll get to take pictures in my car is to mount my Go Pro on the dashboard or stop frequently to take pictures safely.

If I decide to drive, does it matter which way I go, as far as being able to see the sights from my side of the car? I think the camera can probably capture it either way.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,082 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ring of Kerry drive or tour bus?

The best way / recommended way to drive the Ring of Kerry is anti-clockwise. You are always on the land side of the road rather than the sea and you are going in the same direction as the busses not going against them.

If you drive you can go to places off the ring - IMHO the best places:

Rossbeigh Beach (take a right turn at the end of Glenbeigh

Valentia Island - accessible via a bridge at Portmagee

Skelligs Chocolate Factory and St Finian's Bay www.skelligschocolate.com

Ballinskelligs Beach (with its own castle).

There are lots of places to pull in safely and you will find lots of other people doing exactly the same.

O'Fallon, Illinois
Level Contributor
112 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ring of Kerry drive or tour bus?

I would highly recommend you drive. it is not a bad drive, the roads are very good on the ROK, after all tour buses drive it daily. the advantages of driving is you can stop for photos wherever you want, not just the few the bus drives. Taking pictures from the bus are poor anyway, you will want to stop. there are a lot of stops you will want to make, that the tours buses do not. you should also take the ring of Skellig, while the roads are somewhat narrow, they are no problem and the tour busses do not go down these roads and the scenery is also spectacular. you will always want to go anti clockwise. and it will take all day, if you stop as much as I did for my pictures.

BrickUSA
Level Contributor
3,769 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ring of Kerry drive or tour bus?

The roads are good. I am NJ resident and I've driven ROK and taken the bus tour. I enjoyed both experiences. When I was a single man I drove the ROK and met two female tourists who had no vehicle but wanted to see the ROK. Myself, a girl from Australia and a girl from Japan. Years later I got married and my wife and daughter joined me for the ROK tour on deros tours out of Killarney. That was very great too!

derostours.com/new

Level Contributor
152 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ring of Kerry drive or tour bus?

Did a bus tour of ROK by myself and loved it - no issues that I was solo on a big bus full of people. There were a few times on the road when I was VERY glad I wasn't driving. The tour let me experience the scenery with no stress.

Having said that, of course you lose any options to stop as long as you want or to get off the beaten path. But if your plan was just to follow a bus - might as well take the bus.

Enjoy - it's lovely!

Wildwood, Missouri
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ring of Kerry drive or tour bus?

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. My friend moved to Dublin a few months ago and she is recommending that I drive the Slea Head route on the Dingle Peninsula instead. It's shorter and more scenic. So I guess we'll see what I have time for!

6. Re: Ring of Kerry drive or tour bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2017, 10:48