We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrowing down daytrips from Kenmare, where would you go?

Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Narrowing down daytrips from Kenmare, where would you go?

Hello,

We are a group of 16 friends and family who will be staying in Kenmare for a week next June. Four people have visited Ireland before, but the majority of the group will be visiting for the first time. Ages range from three teens, two twenty-somethings, and the rest ranging up to mid-sixties. We have arranged for a 16 passenger bus to take day trips, and we need to agree on 5-6 outings from the following choices:

1) Dingle and Slea Head 2) ROK and sheep farm 3) Beara 4) Bantry House and Gardens and Garnish Island 5) Cobh and Jameson 6) Mizen Head 7) Blarney and Gougane Barra 8) Killarney National Park

The trips all look like so much fun, I know we'll see incredible scenery and enjoy any of the tours, but I'm wondering which destinations you might consider a top pick and which might be redundant, (should we limit to 1 or 2 of the penninsulas?) I have personally been to Killarney and Dingle and would love to go back to both.

Thank you for helping us choose!

Mentioned in this post
Killarney National Park
Killarney National Park
5,907 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Bantry
Bantry
County Cork, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,011 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrowing down daytrips from Kenmare, where would you go?

Honestly? I couldn't pick. I really couldn't.

All of them are fabulous. All of them are worth a visit.

If you are driving the ROK, make sure you get off the Ring to see the Skellig Chocolate Factory at a minimum. Its in a very beautiful location.

Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrowing down daytrips from Kenmare, where would you go?

Thanks, Bean.

Skellig Chocolates sounds fabulous, and will probably give ROK the edge among the chocolate lovers, then again the beer lovers will most likely lean toward Dingle and the Tom Crean's brewery!

It's nice to know that whatever we choose, it will be worthwhile.

Yellow Springs, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrowing down daytrips from Kenmare, where would you go?

If you want a short drive day and a nice walk try Gleninchaquin Park. It's a working farm with a small admission fee but there's a great waterfall, plenty of sheep to admire, good walking trails and the Secret Garden Tea Room right next door.

I love that area and will be there from mid-May tlll mid-June next year.

Mentioned in this post
Gleninchaquin
Gleninchaquin
531 Reviews
Kenmare, Ireland
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrowing down daytrips from Kenmare, where would you go?

Paulkris,

We'll just miss you as we'll be arriving in late June. Gleninchaquin looks beautiful and would appeal to several walkers in the group. I, too fell in love with the Kenmare area when I visited a few years ago.

Mentioned in this post
Gleninchaquin
Gleninchaquin
531 Reviews
Kenmare, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrowing down daytrips from Kenmare, where would you go?

Of all of those, Mizen would be the one I'd omit, though Cobh/ Jameson is a bit out of the way too. (You could always visit the whiskey distillery in Dingle. Chocolate lovers should make sure to visit Lorge http://lorge.ie/shop/ close to Kenmare. They could also hit Dingle on a Friday for the famers' market to meet Saolra who makes Dovinia chocolates. (It is also to be found in The liittle Cheese shop on Grey's Lane in the town and Griffins Gift Shop on Strand street stocked in this year.

Mentioned in this post
Dingle
Dingle
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Narrowing down daytrips from Kenmare, where would you go?

Great suggestions, HarveyIreland. I love that there are options for chocolates and whiskey in Dingle in case we don't choose one of the other locations.

Do you know about how long it would take to travel to Midleton from Kenmare? I would love to make it to the Cork area this trip, but will save it for trip #3 if it's too much travel time.

Mentioned in this post
Dingle
Dingle
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narrowing down daytrips from Kenmare, where would you go?

The peninsulas are truly wonderful, and the Beara is very special. Worth every minute of a slow day's drive. Mizen might be a little far for a day, and Sheeps Head you could combine with the trip to Bantry - just make sure your driver takes the epic Goat's Path road out along the north side of Sheeps Head and the southern road on the way back.

You may want travel sickness pills as well; some of these roads explore all sorts of axes.....

Mentioned in this post
Bantry
Bantry
County Cork, Ireland
Kenmare, Ireland
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Narrowing down daytrips from Kenmare, where would you go?

I couldn't choose either but just a little tip, if you decide on Garnish Island make sure you cover your self with insect repellent. The last time I went there were thousands of midge (little biting insects)! Have fun :)

9. Re: Narrowing down daytrips from Kenmare, where would you go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2016, 10:46