We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

San Diego...
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

Hi,

I am having difficulties deciding how to fit in Ring of Kerry into my itinerary. We have a rental car and here are my relevant locations/drives:

July 6 - Drive from Dublin to Cork with stops at Kilkenny Castle, Rock of Cashel and possible Jameson distillery. Over night stay in Cork.

July 7 - Drive from Cork to Kenmare with stop at Blarney Castly (possible Ring of Kerry here?). Overnight night stay in Kemare

July 8 - Drive to Portmagee for Skellig islands, I really want to see Mizen head this day but may be too much driving? Overnight stay in Kenmare.

July 9 - Drive from Kenmare to Tralle to stay in castle.

July 10 - Drive from Tralle to Galway

Again, I am having difficulties figuring out how to fit in Ring of Kerry and if Mizen Head is possible in that itinerary. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I are young and splitting the driving so we aren't too worried about doing too much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,019 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

If you are driving clockwise from Kenmare to the Skelligs boat, you are likely to meet tour busses. But its the most efficient route.

On that bit of the Ring,

Skelligs Chocolate Factory and St Finian's Bay www.skelligschocolate.com

Ballinskelligs Bay (google image it - it is beautiful)

and

Derrynane House and Tropical Gardens www.heritageireland.ie/en/derrynanehouse/

are all worth a visit.

The N71 from Kenmare to Killarney is beautiful.

It gives you access to:

Torc Waterfall

Muckross House and Gardens

Muckross Abbey

You cannot do the Gap of Dunloe on this route, unless you drive down into the Black Valley (very poor road and very steep in spots) but if you do the Gap this way, you will miss the N71 from Moll's Gap to Killarney - which I believe is the best bit of the road.

You will have to go to Kate Kearney's Cottage and take a jaunting car from there (and walk the bit at the end).

Kate Kearneys is at the opposite side of Killarney. Its near Beaufort.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

Bean_Limerick thank you SOOOO much for the information. We will definitely hit those places, you just saved me a lot of research time! Do you think it is too far out of the way to do the Gap of Dunloe if we have to start at Kate Kearney's Cottage? I wanted to do something a little different than the normal car driving and sight seeing and thought a boat ride combined with the cart ride in beautiful scenery would allow us to see the Killarney National Park in a "different" kind of way. Please note, we will be doing this on the same day on our way to Tralee. Again, thank you for your advice and time to respond to my questions, I truly appreciate it.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,019 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

If you are talking about a jaunting car and boat ride, it will take a good bit longer.

I suggest you use one of the tour companies:

www.derostours.com

www.oconnorautotours.ie

www.gapofdunloetours.com

If you are doing the N71 and visiting Muckross, Muckross Abbey and Torc, on the same day as you drive to Tralee, I think the shorter jaunting car ride from Kate Kearneys will be the only one that will fit in time wise.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

Hi Bean_Limerick

Is it possible to leave Kenmare and visit Muckross, Muckross Abbey, Torc, Torc Waterfall withe the jaunting car and boat ride on way to Tralee? I believe the above would be the only activities for the day. Thank you for your help!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,019 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

No its not possible. The boat and jaunting car tours of the Gap of Dunloe all leave at 10.30 or so and take the best part of a day.

An alternative would be to go to Kate Kearneys Cottage and take a jaunting car up to the Gap from there. Or take a tour of the lakes from Ross Castle www.killarneylaketours.ie/waterbus.html

The drive between Kenmare and Killarney will take about an hour. Torc will take about 20 minutes. Muckross Abbey will take about 30 minutes, perhaps a little more. Muckross Gardens can be seen in a couple of hours but the house takes about 90 minutes by the time you wait for a tour.

Remember its a further 40 minutes or so, perhaps more, to Tralee.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

Okay, thank you for the information. I really like the idea of the horse ride and then the boat ride, changes things up. If I were to do this, would I need to head to Killarney to get a bus to Kate Kearneys Cottage for the jaunting car through the gap then the boat tour of the lakes to grab a ride back to Killarney? I am confused as to how to get back to our car :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

Hello All Again,

I finished further research and I think we are going to do the following itinerary:

July 6 - Drive from Dublin to Cork with stops at Rock of Cashel and Blarney Castle. Over night stay in Cork.

July 7 - Drive from Cork to Kenmare with stops at Muckross House, Torc Waterfall and check out Killarney. Overnight night stay in Kemare

July 8 - Drive to Portmagee for Skellig islands, stop at places on the Ring of Kerry on way back to Kenmare Overnight stay in Kenmare.

July 9 - Drive from Kenmare to Tralle to stay in castle with stop in Killarney to do Gap of Dunloe

July 10 - Drive from Tralle to Galway

Does this sound doable? Should I switch Muckross House and Gap of Dunloe days? Thank you for your continued responses and information, I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

That's really helpful to know about the tour buses going anti clockwise as I'm doing this next month. It's the kind of really useful info that you get from TA people. cheers

19. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2016, 11:48