We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

San Diego...
Level Contributor
26 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

Hi,

I am having difficulties deciding how to fit in Ring of Kerry into my itinerary. We have a rental car and here are my relevant locations/drives:

July 6 - Drive from Dublin to Cork with stops at Kilkenny Castle, Rock of Cashel and possible Jameson distillery. Over night stay in Cork.

July 7 - Drive from Cork to Kenmare with stop at Blarney Castly (possible Ring of Kerry here?). Overnight night stay in Kemare

July 8 - Drive to Portmagee for Skellig islands, I really want to see Mizen head this day but may be too much driving? Overnight stay in Kenmare.

July 9 - Drive from Kenmare to Tralle to stay in castle.

July 10 - Drive from Tralle to Galway

Again, I am having difficulties figuring out how to fit in Ring of Kerry and if Mizen Head is possible in that itinerary. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My husband and I are young and splitting the driving so we aren't too worried about doing too much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Mentioned in this post
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,714 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,102 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

You need to get a map. Your locations are all over the place.

The Ring of Kerry is West of Kenmare and takes a full day.

Mizen Head is on a totally different peninsula and to the East of the Iveragh Peninsula (Ring of Kerry)

Go to www.googlemaps.com and plot your route on that. You will get a graphical idea of what I am trying to say. You will also get an idea of the distance in Kilometers. The average speed here is about 60km per hour. This is not the speed limit, its just the time it takes to get between places because of traffic jams etc.

Mentioned in this post
County Kerry
County Kerry
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,714 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

Hi! You could fit Mizen Head on your Cork to Kenmare day. It's about 2 1/2 hours from cork to Mizen then about 1 1/4 hours from Mizen to Kenmare.

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

"Drive from Dublin to Cork with stops at Kilkenny Castle, Rock of Cashel and possible Jameson distillery. Over night stay in Cork." Skip Kilkenny, it will add miles and a lot of extra time, plus the castle is more like a manor house than a castle. We have brought school tours to the gardens and most of the children refused to believe it was a "castle" as they envisaged crenelations, slit windows, a tall towerhouse etc.

Not to mention the crowds around Kilkenny.

Where in Cork do you plan to stay? If you are heading for the city and travel the Cork-Dublin motorway, you could go to Barrycourt castle, a few minutes off your route. You may well have the place more or less to yourself.

heritageireland.ie/en/…

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Kilkenny Castle
Kilkenny Castle
5,162 Reviews
Kilkenny, Ireland
Rock of Cashel
Rock of Cashel
3,241 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

<<July 8 - Drive to Portmagee for Skellig islands, I really want to see Mizen head this day but may be too much driving? Overnight stay in Kenmare.>>

Is the OP not driving (part) of the Ring of Kerry when she goes to Portmagee from Kenmare?

If you are lucky enough to be able to go to Skellig Michael this day, it is a long, wonderful, but tiring day. You could try to drive a bit more of the Ring of Kerry on your way home.

Or, if the boats are not running to Skellig Michael this day, then drive the full Ring instead.

(I am assuming you know that the trip is very weather dependent, and you should always have an alternate plan. When we went, the boat captain called us a few days before our scheduled date to tell us the next day was the only day the whole week they would be able to make the trip, and could we make it in time? We had just landed in Ireland - luckily Cork - and changed the next few days plans in order to make it.)

Edited: 23 May 2015, 02:55
Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Skellig Michael
Skellig Michael
591 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,102 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

##<<July 8 - Drive to Portmagee for Skellig islands, I really want to see Mizen head this day but may be too much driving? Overnight stay in Kenmare.>>

Is the OP not driving (part) of the Ring of Kerry when she goes to Portmagee from Kenmare?##

Absolutely Amama, which is why I suggested the OP plot their plans on a map.

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
San Diego...
Level Contributor
26 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

Hi, thank you for your response. I think we might just have to cut out Mizen head as it seems to be too many hours out of the way. What time do you think we could arrive in Kenmare from cork if we did blarney castle and Mizen head on the same day en route to Kenmare?

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
San Diego...
Level Contributor
26 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

Yes, I do know that the Skellig tour is very weather dependent and do plan. On doing the entire ring of Kerry that day if it is cancelled. We are also on a waiting list for the next day. I think we will do the ring of Kerry on the way back from portmagee to Kenmare then do the other half on our way to Tralee the next day. How would this work trying to avoid the large tourists buses? Again, thank you!

Mentioned in this post
County Kerry
County Kerry
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,102 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

You are backing back on yourself on both occasions if you go from Kenmare to Portmagee clockwise then anticlockwise and Killarney to Portmagee anticlockwise then clockwise. And you are in effect driving the ROK twice - if I have interpreted your plans correctly. The tour busses drive the route anti clockwise and all other motorists are advised to do the same. When you are driving clockwise you are likely to encounter busses (and lorries).

The drive to Mizen is along smaller roads and will take longer. Take a look at the AA route finder. And add on about 10% http://www.theaa.ie/routes/

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,162 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

On July 7th I would forget Mizen Head and do the Beara peninsula, then dont do the whole RoK, the best bit is the road from Kenmare to Killarney anyway, and you will see a lot of the RoK if you manage to get to the Skelligs.

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
San Diego...
Level Contributor
26 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Issues -Cork-Kenmare-Ring of Kerry-Portmagee

We would drive directly from Kenmare to Skellig Islands and hopefully do the tour. After that, we would slowly do the ROK on the way back to Kenmare. The next day we would do the ROK from Kenamre to Killarney including Muckross Abbey, Gap of Dunloe, etc . then head directly to Tralee....on the rest of the ROK? Does this sound doable? Obviously, we'd rather do Skellig Islands and then head to Tralee after but in case of weather, want to have an extra day to allow for the tour in case it doesn't go as planned.

Mentioned in this post
Kenmare
Kenmare
County Kerry, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Muckross Abbey
Muckross Abbey
1,113 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Gap of Dunloe