We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenmare self catering July?

Dundalk,Ireland
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kenmare self catering July?

Looking for good value self catering in Kenmare from 22nd to 29th July for my wife and I to explore the area.Tried a few sites and prices are very high for just 2 of us. Anyone got any recommendations?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,230 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenmare self catering July?

Unfortunately your dates are peak season, so anything will be relatively expensive. Have you looked at Dream ireland:

dreamireland.com/irish_accommodation_in_town…

Edited: 12 March 2012, 17:25
Dundalk,Ireland
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenmare self catering July?

Yep,checked that site,all over €1000 which is crazy money for here!My brother got a place in Portugal for a week in July for €250 last week.Looks like I'll be doing the same.And people then complain about tourists not coming to Ireland??Hardly surprising when faced with those prices.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,230 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenmare self catering July?

I can't disagree with you

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenmare self catering July?

If you were prepared to move location to an inland county, or one less frequented by tourists, you would increase your chances of something more reasonable.

However, your choices seem to be further limited by the fact that there is less choice in self catering, when it comes to just two people.

Not much help, sorry.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenmare self catering July?

There are several properties in the vicinity of Kenmare (not "in" Kenmare, though), in category "E" and "F" - and a couple even lower, which cost from €475-€533 for a week in July, commencing 21st. May not be quite what you're looking for, but worth a look.

We've used Shamrock for many years now and have always been happy with the accommodation. Note prices are quoted in sterling on the main search page, but there's also a page with euros quoted.

www.shamrockcottages.co.uk/properties/…

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,942 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenmare self catering July?

"My brother got a place in Portugal for a week in July for €250 last week"

Good for your brother. However have you looked at salaries in Portugal recently? I have a friend living in Portugal. €250 in Portugal is probably the equivalent of €1000. payscale.com/research/…Salary

And its a lot cheaper to get to Kenmare than Portugal ;o)

7. Re: Kenmare self catering July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 March 2012, 17:05
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenmare self catering July?

I would second reply 5 from SariniaG. We have used Shamrock cottages for years without problems. The thing is if you are prepared to be out in the sticks a bit then prices come down. The same counts for Imagine Ireland.

imagineireland.com/Kerry-cottages/default.asp

Dundalk,Ireland
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenmare self catering July?

€750 is still too much in my opinion.I can fly to Portugal and get a place for 2 weeks for that,looks like I'll be doing that instead.No wonder tourist industry in Ireland is down.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,387 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenmare self catering July?

I can honestly say we have never paid more than €500 for a weeks accommodation for the two of us. That would include 2x7nights B&B @ €35/night.

Get answers to your questions about Kenmare