We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B's Kenmare: Virginia's vs Rockcrest

Charleston, South...
3 posts
Save Topic
B&B's Kenmare: Virginia's vs Rockcrest

My husband and I will be staying in Kenmare 2 days during our 11 days in Ireland. We would like to stay somewhere with warm, friendly, informative hosts and a comfortable room. Also, close walking distance to town or in town. I have read the reviews for most of the b&b's, but has anyone stayed at more than one and can give a recommendation on one over the other?

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B's Kenmare: Virginia's vs Rockcrest

Just checked in at Rockcrest a few hours ago. Wonderful property and rooms. Just beautiful. Hosts are younger and super nice. I can't compare, but I'd no doubt stay here again. 3rd town so far in Ireland and by far the nicest room we've had.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,546 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B's Kenmare: Virginia's vs Rockcrest

" Hosts are younger " and how does that make them better? Just asking?

I stayed at Virginias, it's right in the centre of town if that's important for you, and the ancient hosts were able to walk, breath, operate the telephonic apparatus and cook a fine breakfast, not to mention be super nice.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B's Kenmare: Virginia's vs Rockcrest

I have not stayed at Rockcrest. Noreen and Neil at Virginia's were two of the warmest people I have ever met. They apologised for the room we had as it was not one of their best. We didn't care as we had a lovely time and would stay there again in a heartbeat. It's in a great location.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B's Kenmare: Virginia's vs Rockcrest

I have not stayed at Rockcrest and don't want to slight them in any way.

BUT I have stayed at Virginia's and quite frankly always will when returning. Terrific location right in the middle of everything. And the hosts, Neil and Noreen, are right there as the best of the best.

Keith

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
90 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B's Kenmare: Virginia's vs Rockcrest

@ Bryno: Ha ha, I was just making an observation. Why so sarcastic? Just asking. I didn't say anything about it being "better" or worse, and meant nothing by it. It's a lovely place and was offering help.

They have a fine breakfast, albeit in a small dining room. Rooms spacious, and clean. Large modern bathroom with shower. My mother's room at the end of the hall has a tub and shower. Our bed is one of the memory foam sleep-numbers, and extremely comfortable. If you're looking to get a double try and get room 7. Great view as well.

I'm sure Virginia's is lovely. Just offering my opinion since I am here. Short walk to town- no more than 5 minutes. Ample parking as well.

-cheers

Deerwood, Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B's Kenmare: Virginia's vs Rockcrest

We recently spent two nights at Rockcrest. Our room was a large comfortable en-suite room. Very nice breakfast selection. Marian, the owner was helpful with names of places for a good meal in town - Tom Crean's, plus places for live music. Location was great it's a short walk to town center. She encouraged us to do the Beara Peninsula as opposed to the Ring of Kerry. We had very little traffic to deal with and no buses. Drove all the way out to Dursey Island (did not take the cable car over) a stunning view. We also made stops at Bonane Heritage Park, Molly Gallivan's visitor's Centre, and Glen Inchaquin Park - waterfall, great view down valley. Interesting drive out to Glen Inchaquin Park. It is like one long narrow driveway - go slow.

7. Re: B&B's Kenmare: Virginia's vs Rockcrest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:47