We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,807 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

Could anyone tell me if there's any free Disabled Parking in Skipton town centre, i do have a Blue Badge?

Best Regards - Taggy

Mentioned in this post
Skipton
Skipton
North Yorkshire, UK
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,807 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

Hi, This local council page should answer all your questions: http://www.cravendc.gov.uk/skiptonparking

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,807 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

Thanks, that's great!

Best Regards - Taggy

Bingley
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

Skipton Council is unfair to blue badge holders. If you cannot find a free space marked for disabled, you have to pay full price.

My wife and sister took their 92 year old mother (who is registered blind) today and were told by an attendant they would have to pay full price as no "disabled" spaces were available. While they were talking to the attendant, a space became available and three cars started to compete for it. Fortunately they won!

Our family visits to Skipton will now be reduced, and remember, there is no charge for parking at Boundary Mill. Does Skipton Council want to reduce the number of visitors to the town and cause financial hardship to cafes and shops in this long lasting recession?

A change of mind is needed.

Ron.

Mentioned in this post
Skipton
Skipton
North Yorkshire, UK
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

BingleyRon, this is a common policy when all blue badge spaces are taken. Some council car parks do not have any blue badge spaces at all. Unfortunately, the Market carpark in Chester is one of those and we were in one in another city only the other day as well.

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Cheshire, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,737 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

Try Morrisons - plenty of disabled bays and you can park for 3 hours for a £1 or so which is refundable if you spend money there

Lancashire
Level Contributor
10,807 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

Yes quite a few places are the same now i'm afraid. Surely the Blue Badge itself should be the qualification for a free car parking space, not restricted to just the few disabled spaces most councils provide!

I did manage to park up OK in Skipton, but not on the main car park...the one i used was over the bridge near bizzie lizzies chippy!

Best Regards - Taggy

Edited: 02 August 2012, 13:58
Mentioned in this post
Skipton
Skipton
North Yorkshire, UK
York, United Kingdom
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

If you are disabled and have a blue badge be very, very careful. I forgot to alter the time clock and was 30 minutes out and I was fined for showing the wrong arrival time. Harrogate Council were totally unreasonable and would not listen, the guy was and is a 'jobsworth'

Mentioned in this post
Harrogate
Harrogate
North Yorkshire, UK
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

To be honest I have never really understood why having a Disabled Card should automatically qualify anyone for free parking. Preferential parking close to facilities I can fully accept, because it's a mobility issue of one sort or another.

To that end Blue Badge holders can also park on double yellow lines, providing there are no double yellow lines painted on the actual kerb, as opposed to the road., but why free ?

To me that suggests that because you are disbaled you are considered to be financially worse off, which is quite insulting. I know of many disabled folk who are very well off and quite happy to pay the parking fees. It's quite often their offspring who take advantage of this parking issue.

Burnley, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

I totally agree about the lack of disabled parking bays in Skipton, I cannot use a normal width parking bay as I need to fully open my car door to get out. Of my car. More disabled spaces are definitely needed. However I don't have a problem paying for my space, to me it's about accessibility not finance. I am on benefits and struggle with finances but I don't think i should be granted free parking when others are paying. What I would love to see is free parking for all in town centres, this would bring more people in and help local shop owners and businesses.

Prestwich, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Free Disabled Parking in Skipton

Blue Badge parking in a disabled car parking space is charged at normal car park rate's only exception is they give 1 hour extra if you pay for an hour or above.....the pay machines are a complete nightmare, we couldn't get it to work...so we left Skipton without visiting the town......Never going back after this fiasco.

Mentioned in this post
Skipton
Skipton
North Yorkshire, UK
Get answers to your questions about Skipton