We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea planes

SURREY
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
51 reviews
sea planes

what time do sea planes start in sept a friend of mine is in the process of booking going from gatwick via dubai and they said she would have a 6hr stop over cause sea planes dont start till 9am

many thanks

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: sea planes

Seaplanes start at first light which can change dependent on the time zone at each island but I'd say between 6-7 am. Often seaplanes will park up overnight at a resort so they can leave as early as possible to get passengers to Male for early flights

Shoreham-by-Sea...
Level Contributor
636 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: sea planes

We are flying from Gatwick in April and are taking the earlier flight from Dubai (2 hour connection) which will arrive at around 7.40 am and then on to the seaplane. Your friend shouldn't have any problems getting this one and it also means arriving at your island earlier.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: sea planes

Although when you get off the 777, go through immigration, get your bags, clear the walk through customs, check in at the seaplane luggage area, get bussed around to the seaplane terminal it's then in the lap of the gods what time the seaplane you are allocated onto leaves . You could get there and wait say2 hours but others could get there well after you , be going to a different island and board their seaplane before you. It's not a case of first come first served. It's a case of crossing your fingers and hoping your plane leaves earlier rather than later

Shoreham-by-Sea...
Level Contributor
636 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: sea planes

Tell me about it sawn. Last time we went to Reethi we were waiting over an hour in the dearture area then a croud of guests turned up and boarded immediately. Not what you want after a long flight but as you said its in the lap of the gods.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: sea planes

if we have a 9:15am flight out of Male is it a risk to expect the sea plane to leave early enough to allow us to check in on time?

London, United...
Level Contributor
432 posts
6. Re: sea planes

You will be fine MrPlatt, the guidance from the seaplane company is they will be at Male for flights at 9am or later, I have taken a flight just after 9 many times.

Paula from Magic of Maldives

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: sea planes

Thank you Paula!

SURREY
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
51 reviews
8. Re: sea planes

mrplatt when we were there last yr meet ppl who had early flight they were called at 5am light breakie and gone

i thought it was dawn to dusk just thought id check incase anything changed

thanks for all replies

xx

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: sea planes

Last seaplane leaves at 4pm from the resort. You may ask to request at 5pm since many international flights leave after 8pm from Mele

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
56 reviews
10. Re: sea planes

Don't forget that many resorts operate on "island time" which may mean it is an hour or even, in some cases, two hours ahead of Male. We recently left Nika Island which is two hours ahead and arrived at Male earlier than we left so to speak!

As has been said before the seaplane schedule is determined by the number of arriving and departing guests and who needs to to be where when. It is published the night before so you won't know your departure from resort until then and will find out your departure from Male on arrival

Get answers to your questions about Vilamendhoo
Recent Conversations
More Vilamendhoo Topics