We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip with a young child

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
day trip with a young child

Hi there,

We will be going to Thousands Islands the very first time this long weekend (on Monday). It will be a day trip. Can someone please suggest some sight seeing places? For sure we will go to the Brockville Railway tunnel. Thanks

6 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,804 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: day trip with a young child

Boat cruise from Gananoque is a must do. have you looked at the tourism sites?

https://thegreatwaterway.com/

https://www.1000islandstourism.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: day trip with a young child

For the boat tour, would you say 1 hour is enough or should I go with the 2.5 hours one?

and if I go with the 1 hour one, should I go with the Beauty of the Island cruise, or the Ivy Lea cruise?

Edited: 03 August 2018, 19:02
Canada
Level Contributor
10,315 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: day trip with a young child

i hr with a small child is enough. I did he 2.5 hrs and frankly was ready to get off after 60 minutes.

Try and get to the head of the line early so you can get a good seat a window or on the upper deck,

Edited: 03 August 2018, 20:01
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: day trip with a young child

which one is the better one? the Beauty of the Island cruise, or the Ivy Lea cruise?

Brockville, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: day trip with a young child

Hi there,

The Brockville Railway tunnel entrance is close to the Aquatarium, which is great for young children and has hands-on activities for them.

It also is steps from 1000 Islands Cruises on Blockhouse Island, which has a 1.5-hour cruise that a young one should enjoy.

Blockhouse Island has grassy places to play and is a great spot for viewing HUGE ships going by.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 02:41
West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
84,005 posts
103 reviews
6. Re: day trip with a young child

I would suggest the "Beauty of the Islands" cruise unless your interest is in sunken lake freighters from the 1700's and on.

Reply to: day trip with a young child
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ontario's Thousand...