We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

Hi, for our summer hol next year, we will have 3 or 4 nights in DLP and then drive down to a campsite in Bordeaux. We've had a family hol to DLP once before, just before the little one was born and didnt bother going into Paris. My husband has never been so we felt sure we'd go this time and I was going to look outside DLP or our hotel in order to make it easier to give up a day for Paris - you know what it;s like staying at a park hotel, you just want to spend the whole time in Disney.

So my question is, actually is there much to do in Paris for kids? I had a year at uni just outside Paris and of course it's a fab city, I'm not a complete philistine, but I was looking at hotels last night and properly thinking about Paris specifically (rather than just 'of course we must go to Paris') and wondered would it just be a long boring day for the younger one. Her attention span isnt great and as much as I love her, she;s very hard work :) They were both bored to tears on a day in Amsterdam but I know London well enough that we had an amazing 4 days there. Is there stuff in Paris that's as exciting for children as Tower of London/Southbank/London Eye/Covent Garden/the parks etc etc

15 replies to this topic
Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
10,222 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

Hi, my dd was six when we went to Paris for a few days. She enjoyed seeing the famous landmarks that are so familiar due to being in movies, on tv or in books.

My three year old ds2 (who defines the very concept of ‘hard work’) is looking forward to going to the Eiffel Tower and seeing Notre Dame.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
10,222 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

Just to add that a day in Paris might be better at the beginning of the holiday rather than at the end. She did want to keep going back to Disneyland each day as we had gone on days 2 and 3.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

Ah that's a good idea, thanks! We're still leaning towards going as my husband would like to see a bit of it but the memories of Amsterdam are still raw :) I guess it all comes down to planning!

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
10,222 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

No my youngest two weren’t bothered about Amsterdam last year either!

County Wicklow...
Level Contributor
187 posts
5. Re: Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

We went a year and a half ago separate from Disney trip. (I like to just do Disney on it’s own!) my 2 were 4 and 6. We had one day and really just did the Eiffel Tower, lunch and wandered. They absolutely loved the Eiffel Tower and still talk about it. I had done Paris a good few times before so it was nice just having a sparse itinerary. Just keep an eye on your wallet. Hubby had someone attempt to take his and got away with a bank card...

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
10,222 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

Always helpful to be reminded to have your wits about you when visiting big cities. Hope it wasn’t too much of a nuisance having his card pinched.

County Wicklow...
Level Contributor
187 posts
7. Re: Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

More a nuisance for me.. he cancelled his card and I had to pay for everything!! 😂

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
10,222 posts
32 reviews
8. Re: Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

Oh Lydia that is rotten luck 😂

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,250 posts
95 reviews
9. Re: Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

Being pickpocket proof is essential in Paris -- never have valuables in pockets or backpack. Period.

You know your kids and you know Paris. Mine would have loved it at this age, but I am not sure my grandchild would be good for a day there yet. The Luxembourg Gardens and the Tuilleries both have things for kids the age of yours -- kids seem to love sailing the little toys boats on the fountain pools. They might enjoy the Seine cruise for just being on a boat and they might be impressed with the Eiffel Tower. There are rowboats to rent in both Parc Vincennes and Bois de Bologne and they are both great picnic places. Mine would have enjoyed a very small well planned dose of the Louvre at this age with a definite plan to see particular things like the Egyptian mummies. Mine did enjoy climbing the Notre Dame tower and seeing the gargoyles; that was before the Disney Hunchback movie -- and mine were a bit older. but if they see the movie they might want to see the gargoyles. When we did the climb -- decades ago, they let the littles sit right under the giant bell when they talked about the Tower and the bell. Mine loved choosing a fancy pastry from a nearby bakery and eating it as a snack in a park.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
2,893 posts
10. Re: Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?

I would take them - mine loved a trip to Paris when they were children, and I would agree with the suggestion to do it first and DLP second. And yes, I'd be careful to follow basic security/safety advice in Paris, just as I would in DLP and in, for example, London...or any other city really.

Reply to: Would you bother with a trip into Paris with 5yo and 9yo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted