We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about walking and eating cheese

New York
Level Contributor
435 posts
338 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about walking and eating cheese

I recently broke my leg, and although it is healed, I am not in excellent physical condition. I plan to visit Gruyeres for one day/night later this month but I have seen videos showing steep stairs and terrain in the village. I also have seen videos/pics of amazing fondue and chocolate. So, I have some questions and hoping for advice:

1-If I arrive by train, and the bus 263 drives from the "Gare" to the Ville stop, it looks like I only have 3 minutes to get off the train and on to the bus. I have the bus schedule but does this seem correct? Is it possible for a person to do this, if they are a slow mover and have luggage?

2-Once at the Ville stop, does one have to climb stairs to get to the no-car section of the Village? Or, is it a steep incline?

3-I would love to enjoy fondue and some other local specialties but I have some questions about how others have coped with this, digestionwise, while traveling. These questions might be too "graphic" or "too much information" to post on a public forum so if someone could message me about this particular question, I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Gruyeres
Gruyeres
La Gruyere, Switzerland
4 replies to this topic
Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
16,559 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about walking and eating cheese

Hi Lisa W

1. 3 minutes is more than you need to change from the train to the bus at Gruyères gare. The bus driver will wait for you and even help you if needed.

By the way the cheese factory is just across the road from the railway station (gare).

2. From the bus station you will go up the road (only a short bit of the way) and there you are. Bus and cars are not allowed to drive at Gruyères Ville witch is a beautiful little historic town with a castle and the ET museum.

3. Gruyères is the perfect place to eat a fondue. We eat it normally for lunch as it is a to heavy meal for a dinner. This depends a lot on yourself. Do not worry, fondue is one of the best meals you can get.

Have a great trip

pore

p4

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,710 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about walking and eating cheese

The train station consists of one small platform. You see the bus from the platform and the driver sees you. The whole point is for people not to waste time. The bus does not get any other passengers than those who just arrived by train.

paris london
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about walking and eating cheese

1 - as already stated, the bus will wait

2 - depends which hotel you're staying at. Most are fairly near the bus stop, but up a cobbled mild slope. I would take a taxi from the station if you have any doubts.

3 - Cheese fondue is basically cheese melted in an acidic wine, so if you have problems with either of these it should be avoided. Also remember that although it looks like a soup, it is almost pure cheese. You don't need more than a cup to fill you up together with the bread. It's the people who scoff pints of the stuff who get digestive problems. Fondue chinoise, which is meat dipped in a broth and served with vegetables, is healthier and more digestible (and just as authentically Swiss despite the name).

New York
Level Contributor
435 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about walking and eating cheese

Thank you all for the excellent advice. I have had cheese fondue many times but never while traveling. I am also traveling solo, so I would not be sharing the fondue. I am sure it is delicious. I love Gruyères cheese! I am just concerned that with all the sitting I will have done on the plane and trains, plus the fact that I am not in great physical shape, might mean that my system could be "off" a bit. Yet, I do want to enjoy the regional specialties.

Reply to: Questions about walking and eating cheese
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted