We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seals/Dolphins

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
458 reviews
Seals/Dolphins

Hello! just curious of the best vantage points to see these delightful creatures around torbay? i understand this varies, but a few pointers would be good. Kind reguards

9 replies to this topic
england
Level Contributor
6,724 posts
130 reviews
1. Re: Seals/Dolphins

https:/…

Hopes nose, Fishcombe bay, Broadsands

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,465 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Seals/Dolphins

There used to be a resident seal at Oddicombe Beach but I haven't seen any reports about him this year.

I have seen seals in the tidal section of the River Dart, and around Kingswear.

k r
Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
224 posts
732 reviews
3. Re: Seals/Dolphins

I have seen a single seal from the coast path on a couple of occasions at Brixham just outside the trawler basin towards Battery Gardens. Also once at Fishcombe Bay as mentioned above.

Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
4. Re: Seals/Dolphins

Seals are regularly spotted from trips by the wonderful Stuart Line Cruises in Exmouth.

Tip: from Torbay travel to Starcross (by car or train on the wonderful Dawlish stretch), and take small passenger ferry to Exmouth. Doubles your chances of spotting seals!

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
251 posts
458 reviews
5. Re: Seals/Dolphins

Quick update. I saw a seal in Babbicombe cove, Brixham Harbour, and the bottom of Berry head (path going down before cafe) Thanks for your responses.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,465 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Seals/Dolphins

Thank you for the update.

There have been reports of a seal off Meadfoot Beach this year too, although I haven't seen it.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,977 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: Seals/Dolphins

You realise you are all in the wrong place ;-)

The West Somerset = North Devon coast have lots. Been watching porpoise fishing every night for 10 days. Lovely

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Seals/Dolphins

The tip of Berry Head, by the lighthouse, is a good vantage point if there are dolphins in the area. Seals somtimes visit the beaches between Brixham and Paignton (Fishcombe, Elberry, Churston Coves).

england
Level Contributor
6,724 posts
130 reviews
9. Re: Seals/Dolphins

There has been at least one whale sighting off the Devon coast this year (maybe not Torquay, though).. Northern bottlenose apparently - it was on twitter.

Edited: 12 September 2018, 01:45
Reply to: Seals/Dolphins
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about English Riviera