We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celle Germany

Vancouver...
3 posts
Celle Germany

Traveling to Celle Germany late September flying into Frankfurt and renting a car. Would like to drive to Celle and explore the area. My husbands great, great grandfather was from here and we'd like to see if we can learn anything about him. Contemplating dropping off rental in Hanover at end of trip and flying from Hanover to Frankfurt for the return flight. Any suggestions or tips for this area appreciated. Thank you.

6 replies to this topic
Vancouver...
3 posts
1. Re: Celle Germany

On 2nd thought, after looking at cost of flights from Hanover to Frankfurt, maybe we'll just drive the rental car back to Frankfurt for our return flight. Maybe take a different route for sight seeing. Please let me know if anyone has any recommendations on sights to see from Celle to Frankfurt. Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Celle Germany

Have you considered taking the train? Celle can be seen on foot and is well worth a visit. On the train from Celle to Frankfurt, if you choose the right one, there is a stop in Hildesheim, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 03:59
Vancouver...
3 posts
3. Re: Celle Germany

I have thought about taking the train but we both like the option of stopping and site seeing. we do not plan on driving once we're in Celle, we plan on exploring by foot. We will be there for 3 full days so the option of being able to explore by car is nice.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
270 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Celle Germany

Celle is a lovely town . There’s a large parking area right next to the intercity hotel . If you park there it’s the perfect location to see the old town.

Dortmund, Germany
Level Contributor
88 posts
5. Re: Celle Germany

Do make a stopover in Kassel and visit the UNESCO World Heritage Wilhelmshöhe with its waterfeatures!

https:/…

UK
Level Contributor
9,480 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Celle Germany

Are you planning to get off a long-haul flight and then immediately get the wheel of a car?

Please don't...

Driving around the Frankfurt area is no fun at the best of times, but it's certainly not something that's recommended after a long-haul overnight flight.

I would take the train on arrival (the train station is underneath the terminal), have a good rest and THEN get a car.

As for flying from Hannover to Frankfurt... I don't think that's something anyone in Germany would consider, unless they have a connecting flight (that's what those flights are really for - feeder flights). The train journey takes less than three hours, so flying really makes no sense.

Reply to: Celle Germany
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Celle