We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting oberstaufen in november

Mumbai, India
7 posts
visiting oberstaufen in november

hi, we got an booking though RCI at mondi holiday resort from 16th november to 23rd nov. is it a good time visiting in november?

our 16 yrs son is accompanying us. will there be any activities for him, ski lessons etc?

next we got a booking in Austria at Grundlsee Mondi holiday resort from 23 rd nov to 30th nov. it worth visiting this two places in month of november. please advice.

Kind Regards,

jyoti

6 replies to this topic
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
1. Re: visiting oberstaufen in november

November really isn't the best of time to visit the Allgaeu (where Oberstaufen isalocated) ,or any Alpine)region. It's the shoulder season, and there is not much activity. Also, the weather tends to be sort of gray and rainy.

There might be some skiing in Oberstdorf at the Nebelhorn , a good hour from Oberstaufen by train (change in Immenstadt), or drive.

On a clear day, take the train, or drive, to Lindau. If you are driving, continue to Friedrichshafen and Meersburg. F. has a very interesting Zeppelin museum; M has an old castle that is open top the public and worth a visit. Besides, the toen has a very nice location. The train from Lindau runs along the lake only as far as F.; you then have to take a bus if you want to visit M.

Also, if you have a car, from Oberstaufen the road through the Bregenzer Wald to Dornbirn, and then to Bregenz is quite scenic. Finally, Fuessen/Neuschwanstein can be done as a day trip. To visit the inside of the castle, reserbe tickets beforehand, otherwise it might be sort of a full day round trip from Oberstaufen, by car or train.

For trains, check ww.bahn.de Also familiarize yourself under "Searcdh" with the details ofbthe Bayenr ticket, a one day heavily discounted ticket valid throughout Bavaria (not Friedichshafen and Meersburg)

Can't comment on the Grundlsee area.

Mumbai, India
7 posts
2. Re: visiting oberstaufen in november

Thank you very much for your valuble advice, we will be having a car. i am planning to start from frankfurt airport, visiting baded baden staying for two nights, then plannig to drive to freiburg then to oberstaufen. then planning to explore the area as you have adviced by car. will find out if oberstdorf skiclub stillachtal school have started for ski lessons for my son. cheked their website but it is in german, will try & call them to get the information. will there be any paragliding, zipline or soaring in that area in mid november?

please request you to advice seriously, if our holiday will be boaring then will change the destination from oberstaufen & grundlsee austria to some other countries. our itinerary is starting from 14 th nov from frankfurt airport, stay in baden baden for two nights - stay in mondi holiday oberstaufen from 16 to 21st - two nights in munich at pension lidner- then 23 to 30 nov at mondi holiday grundlsee austria- then drive to budapest through siofok stay for one night at mala garden and next day to budest at petnehazy club for 7 days by RCI.

travelling by car - will be any problem at cross borders?

please advice i can change my itnerary or which will be the best region to visit from 14th nov to 7th dec 2013, should i plan for finland- sweden

many thanks,

jyoti

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,130 posts
3. Re: visiting oberstaufen in november

Nobvember is no season for countryside and outdoor activities. It is the lousiest time of the year for that. And too early for skiing, the season usually starts some time in December. You are highly unlikely to encounter weather conditions that permit paragliding and such either.

November is a time for culture-oriented city trips but not for the mountains. Of course those holiday parks have "special offers" that time of the year, they know why. Sorry if I sound rude but this is a bad plan, given your travel dates.

Mumbai, India
7 posts
4. Re: visiting oberstaufen in november

Thank very much for your honest & correct advice.

With Best Regards,

Jyoti

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
5. Re: visiting oberstaufen in november

Well, I think BlandineForbes and I are "singing out of the hymnal". Any chance that you can change your plans to late May, early June, or late September early October. These are the months before and after when most German states have their vacation time. November is the time when the German (and Austrian, Swiss) hotel owners go on vacation, to India and anywhere else where the sun shines.

Mumbai, India
7 posts
6. Re: visiting oberstaufen in november

Thank you very much for your Honest Opinion. Will try to change my plans. Will try & see if I can make it for Spain & portugal instead.

Thanks with Kind Regards,

Jyoti

Reply to: visiting oberstaufen in november
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oberstaufen