We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bergen - Gudvangen

7 posts
Bergen - Gudvangen

Hi

I plan to ride the bus from Bergen to Gudvangen, then take the ferry to Flam. What is the walking distance between the bus stop and the dock to board the ferry?

10 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,373 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Bergen - Gudvangen

4-500 meters if I remember correctly. But if you change for the local bus at Voss it will take you through the scenic road and drop you at the dock. You can also take the train to Voss as in Norway in a Nutshell.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,825 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Bergen - Gudvangen

The express bus does the new road with a tunnel, the local bus on NiN route takes the old hairpin postroad, Stalheimskleiva - breathtaking!

7 posts
3. Re: Bergen - Gudvangen

I will be travelling with a 6 year old bringing rather large suitcases. Will it be too much of a hassle to change at Voss? and what is the local bus no.?

Edited: 14 July 2017, 12:19
7 posts
4. Re: Bergen - Gudvangen

Does that bus run in late December? and what is the number?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,825 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Bergen - Gudvangen

No hassle, the bus is waiting right next to the train. No. 950, but it is signed "Norway in a Nutshell". Runs all year.

Late December? Do you mean Christmas - at that time of year exact dates are necessary for advice.

The bus does not do Stalheimskleiva in winter, but neither is a 500m walk along an icy road suitable for suitcases and a 6 yr old.

Please update profile with location as this helps with advice.

Edited: 14 July 2017, 12:40
7 posts
6. Re: Bergen - Gudvangen

Thank you for the advice. The exact date would be 21st December.

If 500M walk is not feasible, which bus should I take to stop at the dock (minimise walking). Oh and I reckon it would be difficult to carry large suitcases in a local bus?

How about the express bus like NW162 and NX 450?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
33,373 posts
41 reviews
7. Re: Bergen - Gudvangen

The express buses stop at the main road and you would have to walk from there to the ferry. The local bus is not at all rickety and has large luggage holds.

You take the earøy morning train from Bergen to Voss and the 10 am bus from Voss to Gudvangen. This is the bus that corresponds with the ferry. Any other schedule is NOT recommended with a child and luggage in winter contiditions. You must plan tight connections to avoid waiting around in the middle of nowhere in the winter cold.

2 posts
8. Re: Bergen - Gudvangen

Your advice has been very helpful. Does the No.950 bus take the old post road with the hairpin turns when traveling from Gudvangen to Voss, namely the 18:05 from Gudvangen Kai? I believe Google Map shows that road as a oneway route going past Stalheimskleiva. Thanks.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,825 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Bergen - Gudvangen

Yes the bus does a loop through the tunnel to Stalheim, down the kleiva then back through the tunnel and on to Voss - only from about 1st May to end of season.

2 posts
10. Re: Bergen - Gudvangen

Thanks, dyoll. Wow! Two for the price of one. I forgot to mention that I was looking at mid-July. Thanks for your concise information. Now all we have to do is wait for the printed schedule to match the on-line search results. I'm looking forward to experiencing all the smooth transfers you have been re-assuring everyone about.

Reply to: Bergen - Gudvangen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gudvangen