We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lago Maggiore - Verbania

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lago Maggiore - Verbania

Would like some information about Lago Maggiore. we'll be staying in Verbania for 5 days and hiring a car.

any suggestion for Best restaurants, cable cars for best views, villages, maybe food or wine tasting?

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
604 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lago Maggiore - Verbania

Verbania is split into two main towns of Palanzs and Intra. Palanza is smaller but prettier and more tourist friendly. Both worthy if visits.

Since the closure of the Stresa amity atone cable car the only close by service us the Laveno bucket lift. You just stand in a large bucket with a door, envious sting but scary. This is on the opposite side of the lake to Inta from where there is a regular ferry. Views from the top are stunning.

Also in Verbania is the beautiful Villa Tatanto gardens. Thus is on the lake shore between Palanza and Intra.

Must see's are the three Borromean Islands which are a short and regular ferry ride away. There are beautiful gardens and pslaces to visit on the islands of Bella and Madre.

Other resorts a short ferry ride away are Streda (my favourite) and Baveno.

Another good place to visit is the hermitage at Santa Caterina. Thus has 13th century artefacts. Get ferry to Stresa and then to Hermitage from Stresa.

There is a railway station in Palanza where you can get trains to Milan and also north into Switzerland. You can get buses (cheaper than the ferry) down the west coast of the lake.

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
604 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lago Maggiore - Verbania

Sorry about the typos. My edit button us not working. Hope you get my drift. I also meant to say you can do Baveno (20 mins) and Stresa (30 mins) by car. Hermitage can also be done by car if you catch car ferry from Intra to Laveno and follow shore around south to cliff above the Hermitage.

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lago Maggiore - Verbania

Many thanks for your info will definitely visit the islands, Stresa and Baveno. hopefully we will also go up to Switzerland and maybe find a cable car service up there as i'm not too keen on the bucket lift :) Thanks

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
604 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lago Maggiore - Verbania

I have just heard that the closed Stresa to mottarone cable car is going to reopen tomorrow (13th Aug). This is a full sized proper cable car.

Catch ferry to Carciano (limited timetable) which is right next to cable car station or walk back from Stresa terminal (about 20 minute walk). Alternatively you can drive as there is s car park next to ferry terminal.

Bugibba, Malta
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lago Maggiore - Verbania

Great we will be visiting in October and from what i read you can also see lake Orta from the top, correct me if i'm wrong

Blackpool, England
Level Contributor
604 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lago Maggiore - Verbania

Yes on a good day according to others. The day I did it there was low cloud. For best view risk the scary Laveno bucket lift where you can see much further but the ride itself is very scary.

7. Re: Lago Maggiore - Verbania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2017, 01:45
Get answers to your questions about Verbania