We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sirenuse in Positano or Palazzo Sasso in Ravello?

Englewood, NJ
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sirenuse in Positano or Palazzo Sasso in Ravello?

Trying to decide between these two hotels as a base for our trip to the Amalfi coast in June. Celebating our 30th anniversary. Any suggestions?

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sirenuse in Positano or Palazzo Sasso in Ravello?

Hello Helen, may I suggest that you look at The Caruso Hotel in Ravello. It is right next door to The Sasso and you may just like what you see. It is a beautiful Orient Express hotel with the most wonderful staff and the destination of choice if money is no object. I wrote a review after our trip in September 2010 and you will see many such reports on TA. Ravello is our favourite place on the AC and you can visit Positano easily on the hotel shuttle.

May I also suggest that you look at Il San Pietro hotel in Positano as a comparison to the Sirenuse.

I would very happily stay at Palazzo Sasso, it has a wonderful restaurant and a beach club, but for us The Caruso is in a league of its own.

Good luck with your choice.

Judith

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,914 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sirenuse in Positano or Palazzo Sasso in Ravello?

These are two very different villages. Ravello is the one AC village that is high above the coast road (and thus, offering those spectacular views) and you will need to take bus/taxi to reach the sea/coastal road so that is something to be aware of - it is not a negative for a lot of people but if you want to be able to leave your hotel and easily access the beach/sea, I would suggest considering your other choice.

There is also a path to walk down from Ravello to Amalfi - not sure how long that takes, but the bus from Ravello down to Amalfi takes about 20 minutes but that includes switchbacks. The walk may or may not take the same amount of time; I've never done it but maybe someone else here has.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sirenuse in Positano or Palazzo Sasso in Ravello?

The walk down is great and can be done very quickly if you aren't constantly stopping to admire the amazing views- in the tourist office in Ravello one day, the lady working there told the person in front of us who was in a hurry that its quicker than the bus! We took longer because of the views but the actual distance is short (although many steps).

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
969 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sirenuse in Positano or Palazzo Sasso in Ravello?

Being stuck in the bird's nest (beautiful views, sure) with a long way down to the sea, which I'm sure you'd love to enjoy in June, as opposed to having easy access to it while in Positano? Sounds like a no-brainer to me :-).

Le Sirenuse - if you want to be in town.

Il San Pietro - 5 minutes via hotel shuttle from town (Positano) - private beach, tennis courts, 2 restaurants, sea view from every room, etc., etc., etc.,

5. Re: Sirenuse in Positano or Palazzo Sasso in Ravello?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2013, 15:47