We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains out of Montepulciano to Rome

neatz
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
Trains out of Montepulciano to Rome

Hi all,

My question is this- will be in Montepulciano without a car. Need to get from there to Rome on September 11 in the morning.

Which is better, get a driver to Chiusi-Chianciano and get train there, or would there be a taxi to take us to Montepulciano train station and do the transfer in Chiusi. ?

So, the concern is --how easy is it to get a taxi in Montepulciano at 6:15 in order to get on the 7:01 Regionale 3037 and connecting with the Euro Night 295 train leaving Chiusi-Chianciano at 7:47??

My next concern is , if we get a driver to Chiusi ($$) to catch a train straight to Rome--Our choices are a 7:04 Intercity 581 (again, driver so early to make the trip to Chiusi) OR, there is that same Euro Night 295 at 7:47.

But, On the Trenitalia website, it will not let me buy either of the scenarios that involve the Euro Night train...is that train a legitimate option? Opinions please.

6 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
207 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Trains out of Montepulciano to Rome

I would get the driver to take me to Chiusi so I would not have to make the transfer. I cannot tell you why they will not let you buy that option. Perhaps just go with the intercity option

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,256 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Trains out of Montepulciano to Rome

Book the taxi to take you to Chiusi-Chianciano noting please that cabs don't cruise around or wait in a line at a given place, they all have to be pre-booked and for one that early, book a few days before as maybe not everyone will be working at that hour. Can't help you with a cab number but the people at wherever you are staying should be able to. Just out of curiosity, what do you plan on doing whilst in Montepulciano without a car? We have experts on the subject of trains on this board whom I am sure will be able to clarify the situation but I have an idea that the Euro Night is a sleeper coming in from another country, Austria? Readily stand corrected. There are a couple more trains to Rome between 8 - 9, aren't there? Been a while since I went down on the train but there certainly used to be several between 7.30 - 9 from Chiusi as people commute to the capital.

neatz
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Trains out of Montepulciano to Rome

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I can have hotel book a taxi to Chiusi--"What are we doing...without car in Montepulciano?" Have booked one all day tour to visit Montalcino and Pienza and wineries..of course!! Then have a full free day to just hang out in town, eat, drink, shop, etc... There for 3 nights , but arrive late on first day as have hired a driver for a full day Chianti region tour and transfer from Florence. Then of course leave early the next day for Roma. I think it will be good, although a car would have been probably better. Thanks again, hope someone with train expertise in that area will chip in..

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
33,123 posts
4. Re: Trains out of Montepulciano to Rome

This is not a legitimate option. The 07.47 train only calls at Chiusi to set down passengers travelling from Germany. It does not pick up passengers in Chiusi who are travelling to Rome, which is why you cannot purchase a ticket for it.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,256 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Trains out of Montepulciano to Rome

Of course!

neatz
Level Contributor
46 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Trains out of Montepulciano to Rome

OK, thank you so much for clearing that up for me.

Reply to: Trains out of Montepulciano to Rome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted