We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Lipari Island

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Getting around Lipari Island

My husband and I are planning a day trip from Taormina to Lipari Island and we’re wondering what’s the best way to explore the island. Can it be simply by walking around or do we need a taxi, car, etc...?

15 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,767 posts
1. Re: Getting around Lipari Island

Lipari is a large island.

Take the local bus.

http://www.ursobus.it/

Vagabonda

Aeolian Islands...
Level Contributor
338 posts
2. Re: Getting around Lipari Island

Nikki B,

it depends what type of exploration you want to do. Some people enjoy spending time in the city area which has a walled fortress with musuems inside and numerous good restaurants. Other people enjoy hiking (in this case you may want to consider visiting Vulcano, which has a nice hike up the Gran Cratere), and Lipari has some nice trails too. If you prefer beaches, head over to the beaches of Canneto, Porticello area, or Acquacalda either by bus, taxi, or you can rent a vehicle. If you are not on a budget, rent a yacht or RIB from Milazzo or Portorosa and do a day trip by boat, visiting the island from the water and seeing the secluded beaches of Valle Muria and Vinci with stunning views of the coastline. There are many ways to explore the island and many things to see.

Ciao

Cristian

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Getting around Lipari Island

Hi Just reading lots of Sicily posts & all your information is fabulous. Since you mentioned boat hire Cristian I hope it is ok to ask a question on this post. My husband and I are heading to Sicily, Aeolians and south of Italy in 2 weeks time. Is it possible to hire a small boat for a day from Lipari or somewhere else in Sicily and what would we expect to pay please?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,767 posts
4. Re: Getting around Lipari Island

Welcome to Sicily Sheryl S and thank you.

Contact Cristian directly.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Vagabonda

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Getting around Lipari Island

Thank you. I have taken note of a lot of your great recommendations on other posts.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,767 posts
6. Re: Getting around Lipari Island

Thank you Sheryl S, and great that you're finding these forums helpful in your planning.

Best regards,

Vagabonda

Aeolian Islands...
Level Contributor
338 posts
7. Re: Getting around Lipari Island

Sheryl S,

yes, there are small boats for rent from most marinas in the Aeolian Islands and Sicily. What I would suggest, given you are coming outside of high season, is to wait and see the weather forecast and book two days before hand if the weather is favorable.

Boat prices vary greatly depending on size. There are some very small RIBs avaialble for around 100 euros, as well as larger RIBs that cost 1000 euros + fuel. It depends what you are looking for.

There are also boats that do group tours, if you are interested in something more afordable. Lipari in particular has a ton of boat tours to the neighboring islands.

Ciao

Cristian

PS: grazie mille Vagabonda

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Getting around Lipari Island

I was wondering how far ahead we would need to book so thank you for that info. We would like to see a mix of the islands so I am trying to look at options now on how best to do that & how long we would need to stay on Lipari, thinking 4 nights.Will it be safe to wait until we get there to look at our tour options? Don't want to miss out. Thanks again.

Aeolian Islands...
Level Contributor
338 posts
9. Re: Getting around Lipari Island

Sheryl S,

if you are coming after August 25th, you should be ok regarding boat tours even last minute.

Ciao

Cristian

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Getting around Lipari Island

Sorry I missed this reply Cristian Thank you

Reply to: Getting around Lipari Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted