We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Holiday To Italy

Mablethorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Topic
First Holiday To Italy

We are new to planning holidays and are a bit nervous about venturing into Italy.

We like the look of this area because it seems to be quite set up for tourists, whilst still remaining cultured.

I am asking for your experiences of this area, relating to how much there is to do, how far away other things to do are, such as travelling to nearby towns along the Lake, and also how evident the language barrier is.

Thank you in advance.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Holiday To Italy

Hi, will this be a package holiday or will you be booking flights and accommodation independently?

When are you thinking of travelling?

Lazise is a beautiful little town at the south-east of Lake Garda. Travelling to other towns would be a bit easier from nearby Bardolino or Garda because they have a more frequent boat service, but Lazise is a nice base. You can walk along the lakeside path from Lazise to Bardolino in an hour and from Bardolino to Garda in another 45 minutes.

There are buses up and down the eastern shore if you don't want to use the ferries all the time.

Language is not an issue in places like restaurants, cafes, bars, ticket offices etc. - most people speak some English (as well as German and also some other languages!). Having said that, it's a good idea to have some basic Italian words and phrases like please, thank you, good morning, good afternoon, do you speak English?, how much is...? etc.

The Italian people really appreciate the effort and will probably answer you in English but it would be seen as rude to go into a shop and immediately start speaking in English. I've encountered some shops where no English is spoken but these have been non-touristy places.

As for what there is to do, what do you like seeing and doing? Water-sports, hiking, castles, gardens, churches, Roman ruins...? There's a cable car at Malcesine which we usually recommend.

The lake isn't known as a night-life hot-spot so not the best place to go if you're looking for something very lively.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
21 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Holiday To Italy

How much time do you have in Italy? I'm going for the 5th time next June and have covered a lot of territory. If it were my first trip, I would do Rome, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast area. Just amazing! Second choice would probably be Florence and Cinque Terre area. Honestly you cannot go wrong. It is not difficult to get around by train and we got around easily with the 20 or so Italian words we know. I have recommendations on trains, drivers, tours, hotels, restaurants, etc. on all of the places I've been, so if you decide where you're going let me know and I'll help any way I can.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Holiday To Italy

Personally, I would stick with Lake Garda for your first Italian trip. I don't think you'll be disappointed..

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Holiday To Italy

No need to be nervous about travelling to Italy, it's a very friendly place and you will have no problems with language around the lake. I would agree with Scozzese and maybe look at Bardolino or Garda, especially if you want to use the ferries.

5. Re: First Holiday To Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2017, 15:48
Get answers to your questions about Lazise
Recent Conversations
More Lazise Topics