We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiavari Historical Society

Hampton, VA
4 posts
Save Topic
Chiavari Historical Society

Does Chiavari have a city museum or historical society where someone can visit to research family history?

My Great Grandmother, Anna G. Canepa, was the daughter of Frank Garibaldi and Catherine Brizzolara of Chiavari, Italy.

She was the wife of John B. Canepa who was bonr in Rapollo, Italy, and came to America in the 1800's.

I know one of Anna's daughters attended a French convent in Chiavari which was in existence about 1904.

The Garibaldi family lived in a villa in Chiavari which, when I visited back in the the l960's, had been turned into apartments.

I've since misplaced the addresses of both the villa and the former French convent.

I plan to visit Chiavari again in Oct 05 as well as make my first visit to Rapollo at that time. I hope to visit once again the places familiar to my ancesters.

Back in the 60's I visited a bar known as "I1 Nuovo Bar" because it's owner Mr. Capaldi advertized that English was spoke in his bar.

The bar was located at Piazza Mazzini 4, Chiavari. Is it still in existence?

Mr. Capaldi located a young college student who spoke English and who helped me locate the villa and former french convent of my ancesters.

The college student's name was Guido Lombardi, of S. Giovanni 4, Chiavari, and the name of his shop was Pomfens. Would he by any chance still be in Chiavari?

Thank you for any answers to the above questions which you may be able to provide. Sincerely, Sandra Canepa

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiavari Historical Society

Sandra, my name is Jorge Canepa Raffo,and I am a License architect in NY. I was born in Peru, I know my great grandfather was Jose Canepa Piccardi, he was born in Chiavari on about 1840, then he went to Peru got married. I do not have any more information about it. I am 57 years old and I am very interesting to find out if I have more relatives. If somebody can help me I would appreciate. My phone number is 917-682-7865 I live in Staten Island New York. Thanks in advance for your assistance. Good luck

Jorge F. Canepa Raffo

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiavari Historical Society

It may be more productive for folks looking to trace their family history to start their research on one of the U.S. genealogy websites, and to do so well before any planned trips to Italy.

Two good places to start are www.familysearch.org and www.cyndislist.com. Both are non-profits and provide tons of basic information, country and state research guides, and links to other genealogy sites, including sites where you can exchange information with others researching the same family or geographic area. They also provide information on getting copies of vital records (e.g., birth, marriage and death certificates) both here and in Italy. Many foreign vital records are available at the family history centers operated by the Mormon church throughout the U.S.

Lima
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiavari Historical Society

Hola, soy Claudia Menéndez, de Perú. Mi bisabuelo se llamó Luis Cánepa y fue hijo de Manuel Cánepa Piccardi quien nació en Chiavari - Italia. Luego viajó a Perú y vivió en Cañete, al sur de Lima.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiavari Historical Society

@ VirginiaTraveler: You can try to send an email to the administration of Chiavari: anagrafe [at] comune.chiavari.ge.it

Or go to http://www.ilnuovobar.it

Best wishes from Genoa,

Thomas

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiavari Historical Society

Claudia, soy Jorge Francisco Canepa Raffo, tengo 59 anos y mi papa era Jorge Canepa Cuba y mi abuelo Jose Canepa Yactayo hermano de Luis Canepa Yactayo.Ahora se que somos parientes.Mi tio es Manuel Canepa ingeniero mecanico o electrico.Yo me acuerdo de los Menendez, estoy seguro. Por favor respondeme. Tengo una tia que tiene un hotel en Canete pero no me acuerdo de su nombre, rea prima hermana de mi papa.Bueno, feliz ano y espero tener noticias muy pronto de ti. Abrazos

Jorge Coco Canepa Raffo. Vivo en NY USA y soy architecto. Chau

Coco

New York
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiavari Historical Society

Claudia Menendez: Cuales son los nombres de tus papas, yo estoy absolutamente seguro que eres mi sobrina, respondeme porque viajo a Chiavari en Abril y espero recoger information de Manuel Canepa Piccardi.Te acuerdss del nombre del hotel en Canete, esta en la Plaza de Armas de Canete, si tienes el telefono avisame. Mi email es: cococanepa@si.rr.com.

Escribeme

Coco

7. Re: Chiavari Historical Society

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 20:49
Get answers to your questions about Chiavari
Recent Conversations