We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to La Foce

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Transport to La Foce

I'll be travelling this May and will need to go from Florence to La Foce. I will not have a car. Does anyone know the best way to reach La Foce? I've been thinking train to Chiusi, then bus or taxi. Or would going to Siena, then bus/taxi be better? Thanks for your suggestions!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,633 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Transport to La Foce

I have to say that the only sensible way of getting to La Foce is by rental car. It is a speck on the map, and I doubt that there is any public transport.

The closest train station where you might fairly readily find a taxi would be at Chiusi. This is some 15 km away, and the driver would want to be paid for the return journey.

You could probably pick up a bus from Chiusi to Chianciano Terme, but I don't know the detail.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Transport to La Foce

You need a car. I can picture a bus stop up there near the entrance to la Foce but I can't recall ever having seen a bus and I'm up and down that road all the time at all hours of the day and night. A taxi from anywhere - even the nearest town (Chianciano) - would cost you infinitely more than the cost of a hire car and heaven knows how much a cab would be from Siena or even Chiusi. This is a very beautiful place and the gardens are most definitely worth visiting but you do need a car, no question. Why don't you take the train from Florence to Chiusi and pick up a hire car there? It's an easy drive (around 30/40 minutes) along lovely lanes with hardly any traffic if you avoid Chianciano itself, and you can. PM me for more if you're interested.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 14:10
BC, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Transport to La Foce

Thanks to both of you! I'll have to reconsider. I'm actually staying there for a 2 week painting course, so hiring a car might be a bit of a waste. Is there a rental car drop off anywhere in the vicinity?

It might be possible to meet up with the teacher and other students, who are being driven up from Rome, in Chiusi as they pass by.

Thanks again. Lastraniera I may get back to you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,633 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Transport to La Foce

The closest rental car office would be at Chiusi.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Transport to La Foce

Thanks!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Transport to La Foce

I wouldn't say hiring a car would be a waste if you're staying there, on the contrary take advantage of two weeks in one of the most beautiful parts of Europe to explore it fully and you'll need a car to do that. Surely you won't be painting all day, every day? Perhaps they have a minibus to take students out but, if it were me, I'd still hire that car. Just looking across the valley you'll spy little spots you want to visit (especially if you're artistic) and surely you'll want to go into the nearby towns and villages such as Montepulciano, Monticchiello, Pienza, Contignano? La Foce is sublimely beautiful but it's in the middle of nowhere and having a car will add to your enjoyment hugely.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Transport to La Foce

After staying in this area for 10 days this past October, I totally agree with lastraniera - you really will enjoy having a car!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,865 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Transport to La Foce

it would be hard to find a more isolated out of the way spot than La Foce -- the countryside is beautiful but you can't do anything without a car but sit where you are -- we had considered staying at La Foce for our visit to Tuscany this fall and decided that even with a car it was too far from anything including a bakery or grocery store -- we opted for Montepulciano for two weeks instead and visited La Foce on the say the gardens were open. It was beautiful but once we were on the property we were doubly glad we had not chosen to stay there.

It sounds like a wonderful place for a painting course but I would definitely recommend a car; perhaps it would be possible to join with other students in renting something.

BC, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Transport to La Foce

Thanks to everyone! I will have to talk about all this with our group leader. Your comments will make our decisions much easier!

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,006 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Transport to La Foce

Following up on this post re buses to / from La Foce, I stopped to take a look at the bus stop when I drove by earlier this week. There are two services a day from Chianciano leaving around 2 pm on school days only that stop here around 20 mins later. One bus goes to the tiny, tiny village of Contignano, the other passes La Foce shortly afterwards going to Arcidosso, which is over on the lower slopes of Monte Amiata. Clearly, this is a school bus run and of very little use to visitors. Hope you're investigating that car!

Get answers to your questions about Chianciano Terme
More Chianciano Terme Topics