We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to wineries.

6 posts
Transportation to wineries.

My mother and I will be staying in the area of Castellina in June this summer. We would like to visit certain wineries; some close, and some a decent drive (45 minutes) away. We realize that we shouldn't be wine tasting and driving our rental car around the winding roads of Tuscany. From what I've read, the wine tastings are more than just a small swallow to truly "taste," like it is in Napa or other wine tastings I've done. And even if it is, small swallows can add up. So what would you recommend doing? There is one company that I know of in Castellina that does wine tours, but they've chosen the wineries and it's 180 euro per person. We're essentially just looking for a driver, and hoping not to pay 360 or so euro for the day between the two of us... And I don't think we can just call an Uber! :) If we need to drive to see the far-away wineries and not taste (maybe bring a bottle back, instead), and then walk to the very closest ones to our accommodation, that may be our best option... Sorry for not being knowledgeable about how things work in Tuscany.

Thanks for the advice!

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Transportation to wineries.

You can either "taste and spit" or pay the going rate for an NCC driver - around 350 per full day for the two of you. A really good wine tour is worth the money but you'll rarely visit more than three wineries in a day. Another alternative is to drive to Greve and go to the wine tasting centre there and taste the wines on your list.

1 post
2. Re: Transportation to wineries.

Tuscan, can you recommend a "really good wine tour"? :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,254 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Transportation to wineries.

Didn't you just ask this question yesterday and get multiple responses?

BTW it is against Forum rules to use multiple screen names.

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Transportation to wineries.

Can I recommend "a really good wine tour"? Well, I recently saw a new tour which I was almost tempted to take myself. The tour is conducted by Angela Saltafuori who has years of top ratings on TA. Here it is:

tuscanwinetours.net/machiavelli-villa-wine-t…

and here's what the highly reliable Annamaria Baldini has to say about the villa around which the tour is created:

…blogspot.com/2016/12/is-it-possible-to-visi…

6 posts
5. Re: Transportation to wineries.

Tuscan, thank you so much! That is very helpful. :)

datthecoast, I posted a similar question yesterday and after getting a bit reamed for it, I realized I should have posed a better question. I only have one TripAdvisor account. If you're not going to add anything of substance to a conversation, please don't comment. Sad... I always heard Canadians were nice.

6. Re: Transportation to wineries.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2018, 02:49
Get answers to your questions about Castellina In Chianti