We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locating an old address of long ago

Palmdale, California
5 posts
1 review
Locating an old address of long ago
Save

I, too am visiting my ancesters city. But I am not looking for a person, I am looking for an address, so I can see where they used to live. I want to take a picture of it. I have joined ancestry.com and the Hall of Records- with no look on this specific detail. You said they probably will not let me check records. What can I do or should I bring with me when I go in person to encourage them to let me check records?

9 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,29,912 posts
1. Re: Locating an old address of long ago
Save

Welcome to Sicily SandyBalch!

You can visit the comune for records. If you have an address, you can check that on your own – You don’t need the comune for that. The Ufficio Anagrafe stores documents (birth, death....)....

What will you bring with you??

Vagabonda

Edited: 10 years ago
Palmdale, California
5 posts
1 review
2. Re: Locating an old address of long ago
Save

I don't know if my response is a duplicate, but I meant to say. I would like to find the house or neighborhood that my relatives lived in around the 1900s. I do not know what that address is, this is what I want to find. Where do I start with this? You mentioned that the Ufficio Anagrafe may not let me search any records. What can I do to have them allow me to do this?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
318 posts
60 reviews
59 helpful votes
3. Re: Locating an old address of long ago
Save

If you find a family members birth record it will list the parents names and their address.

Here is the list of records that you can search for free on familysearch.com for Caltanissetta. Pick the ones that correspond to the years you are looking for, if they are there and simply go page by page looking for relatives. It takes forever, I did it. But I found exactly what you are looking for. They are a mix of birth, death and marriage records.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index#uri=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Fwaypoint%2FMM5W-1NF%3An188744527%3Fcc%3D1946840

Palmdale, California
5 posts
1 review
4. Re: Locating an old address of long ago
Save

Thank you for your response. However, when I translated each word on the record, there was not an address. I found birth, death, and marriage records. But no address. I don't get it. Any other suggestions.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,29,912 posts
5. Re: Locating an old address of long ago
Save

Depending on the document, not all documents contain addresses, especially earlier documents.

Contact the Ufficio Anagrafe, especially if you have names and dates. You could then visit on arrival.

Vagabonda

Palmdale, California
5 posts
1 review
6. Re: Locating an old address of long ago
Save

Thank you I will try this. In English, what is this office? Also do the employees normally speak English?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,29,912 posts
7. Re: Locating an old address of long ago
Save

Dove rivolgersi e orari di ricevimento:

Presso gli sportelli dell'Anagrafe del Comune, in piazza Garibaldi, Lunedi, mercoledi, venerdi dalle ore 8,30 alle ore 12,00 e il giovedi dalle ore 15,30 alle ore 17,00 email:ufficio.anagrafe@comune.caltanissetta.it

http://www.comune.caltanissetta.it/settori-e-uffici/staff-del-sindaco/cambio-di-domicilio.aspx

Sportelli Ufficio Anagrafe:

http://www.comune.caltanissetta.it/settori-e-uffici/staff-del-sindaco/sportelli-ufficio-anagrade.aspx

Vagabonda

Palmdale, California
5 posts
1 review
8. Re: Locating an old address of long ago
Save

Gracie

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,29,912 posts
9. Re: Locating an old address of long ago
Save

You'll get better results if you connect with a specific person in the office - The names and hours are posted above. Also, don't overlook churches - Some of the records in churches are detailed and information differs from the comune.

If you require further assistance, happy to help...

Good luck -

Vagabonda

Reply to: Locating an old address of long ago
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caltanissetta