We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car needed?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
361 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Car needed?

We are thinking of coming to Moorea in late January and early February. Do we need to rent a car and if we do should we do it at the PPT airport and bring it on the ferry or wait until we get to Moorea?

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Society Islands, French Polynesia
4 replies to this topic
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car needed?

I would get a car in Moorea. There are several places that have rentals on Moorea. Avis and Alberts are the main ones. I'm sure others can give you more ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car needed?

I agree, Rent the car on Moorea. We rented from Alberts for a day. Depending where you are staying (we loved our OWB at the Hilton) you may just want to hang out and may not need a car much. Lots of waterspouts right at the hotel.

We were just there in late April and we took a cab from Papeete Airport to the ferry dock. Easy. Slower (45 minutes vs. 1/2 hour) Ferry is really nice and the top deck has great views.

Not sure if you have checked weather charts but that can be a wetter time. I have met people who did not know there are wet and dry seasons so I thought I would mention it. You can get lucky and have good weather anytime.

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Papeete
Papeete
Tahiti, French Polynesia
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
361 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car needed?

Thanks both of you. Did not know that was the wetter time. that might delay the trip a bit. And we will be at the Hilton when we go. Glad to hear you liked it.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car needed?

I'd recommend renting the car on Moorea. Avis is right across the street from the ferry dock, or will come to your hotel and bring you back to their office to get your car. You most likely will NOT need a car for your entire stay; the Hilton is lovely, and lots of tours and restaurants will provide pickup and drop off from there. In a one day car rental, you can see the entire island and shop.

Mentioned in this post
Moorea
Moorea
Reply to: Car needed?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Papetoai
More Papetoai Topics