We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking on the moors

California
Level Contributor
59 posts
55 reviews
Hiking on the moors

Can anyone suggest hikes on Bodmin moor that I can get to via public transportation? I'm looking for a 4 - 5 hour hike that doesn't involve lots of steep hills.

Thanks

Looe, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
731 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Hiking on the moors

have a look at the best of bodmin moor tourism association website. they have trails on here plus books you can order and have sent out. also the tourist information place in Bodmin is very good and helpful and I suggest you make direct contact with them. the circular walks books by Mark Camp are far and away the best. however, this is Cornwall and it isn't flat by any means!!

California
Level Contributor
59 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Hiking on the moors

Thanks - I appreciate you taking the trouble to respond. I don't expect flat terrain, but I'd like something more along the lines of "hilly" than "mountainous".

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Hiking on the moors

Wringworthy has suggested the Best of Bodmin Moor web-site, but it does not list bus services nor provide down loadable walks.

bestofbodminmoor.co.uk/media/13799/landscape… Map showing the features of the Moor

The method you need to use is finding a web-site with a list of suitable walks and matching the places mentioned to bus services. This can be very difficult, as the walk descriptions generally assume use of car and will suggest parking at a location with no bus service, but the walking route passes through another village with a bus service. Also there are frequent changes to bus services over the years, so you will find walk descriptions mentioning bus services which no longer exist.

cornwallpublictransport.info/bus_timetables.…

A list, produced by Cornwall County Council, of Bus Services, providing links to Operators web-site. Incomplete, and gets in a mess because there are duplicate route numbers within the County. Each Operator has own method of providing the timetable, very frustrating. Some of the services are for School pupils, so operate at unsuitable times.

www.iwalkcornwall.co.uk/walks/near/bodmin

One of many walking web-sites. Of the places mentioned in the headline description the following have a service, and I've listed the origin and destination of the route ie the major towns, as you don't specify where you are able to start from.

Alturnan 225 (Launceston, circular)

Camelford 595 (Wadebridge, Bude) 251 (Bodmin)

Darite/Crows Nest/St Cleer 573 (Liskeard, Callington)

Tokenbury Corner see note

St Neot 283 (Liskeard, circular) Also Carnglaze Caverns

St Breward 228 (1 a month!), 251 Camelford-Bodmin

Tokenbury Corner: scroll to the far South East of the map for Pensilva; Tokenbury Corner is the junction to the West, with car park symbol. The 573 and 236 (Liskeard Launceston) pass here. Caradon Hill and Crows Nest are NW of the junction, so walks mentioning Caradon Hill can be adjusted.

Of the walks listed I would recommend Camelford to Advent and the various Minions Caradon Hill options.

oliverscornwall.co.uk/bodminmoorwalks.html

Another walking site, which details a walk from Minions to Crows Nest. By combining the Caradon Hill walk (from Tokenbury Corner) to Minions, good facilities for lunch stop, then switch on to this walk. This assumes you will use bus 573 from Liskeard.

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Hiking on the moors

Apology - Service 573 has had number changed to 574. Old habits die hard at my age.

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Hiking on the moors

Thanks Penmere - am bookmarking this for my own use!

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
3,341 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Hiking on the moors

Thanks Jezzyka, hope you have some good days out, and there's not too many mistakes. Please report back as I'll try and maintain, and expand this type of commentary. As a newbie I wasn't sure how it would be received.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
376 reviews
7. Re: Hiking on the moors

Very well received, I can assure you! Great info.

California
Level Contributor
59 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: Hiking on the moors

Thanks - you went to a lot of trouble and gave me an extremely useful list.

9. Re: Hiking on the moors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2018, 16:45
Get answers to your questions about Bodmin
More Bodmin Topics