We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

My husband and I are planning a trip to Cornwall in late June/early July 2015. We are looking at staying in the Bodmin area as a home base renting self catering accommodations. We would like to fly into Heathrow and take a train or other public transportation to Bodmin and then rent a car to drive around the sights of Cornwall. Does this sound like a feasible plan? What would be our best option getting from London to Bodmin? Are car rentals available in Bodmin?

15 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
975 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

Firstly - I wouldn't stay in Bodmin itself. It may be central, but there are a lot more appealing towns. Unless you're planning to stay in the middle of nowhere on Bodmin moor or around. But if you're looking to stay in a town I would look at Fowey, for example.

You can get a train from London or reading to Bodmin parkway but there isn't a car rental there, and it's a couple of miles from the town itself. A better place to pick up a car rental is Truro, or perhaps St Austell.

How long are you staying? If you have a long stay (a week or more) it might be worth staying in two places at either end of Cornwall to cut down on some of the driving. Eg St Ives and port Isaac.

Final tip is that late June will be cheaper and less crowded than early July, even though both are outside the main school holidays.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
84 reviews
2. Re: Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

There is a car hire firm that offers pick ups at Bodmin Parkway.

www.searchbodmin.com/blackbird-car-hire/

I've not used them myself but have seen some decent reviews for them in the last couple of years.

The Bodmin area covers quite a wide area, so this gives a lot of choice, and is a good central location to explore Cornwall.

Looe, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
734 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

I would suggest you take the train to Plymouth, pick up a rental car there and drive the 20 - 25 minutes into SE Cornwall. Please don't base yourself in Bodmin town. it isn't on the Moors its a small provincial town. come and stay here in Looe and surrounding areas. much quieter than the north coast but still with lots to see and do.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
920 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

I agree that Bodmin itself isn't a very pretty town but it has some lovely villages very close by and I think it makes an excellent base for a touring holiday in Cornwall because of the easy access to the A30. There are some very good quality self catering properties and every part of Cornwall is within easy driving distance.

The cottage below is just one example. One of our sons has stayed here or in their other cottages several times. And the excellent Borough Arms is nearby for good pub grub and you can walk to it along the Camel Trail.

cottages4you.co.uk/cottages/tregarthen-cotta…

Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

Thanks for all your comments. We aren't set on staying in Bodmin itself, basically looking for a location where we can take the train from Heathrow and rent a car from that location. Bodmin just looked centrally located between Bath and Cornwall. Any other locations that have the a train link to London and car rental possibilities would work as well if you have any suggestions.

Looe, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
734 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

Plymouth is definitely the easiest. Mainline train from Paddington and there in 3.5 hours

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

You could take the train to Truro, pick up your car there and stay in St Agnes. It is a very pretty village with good pubs and restaurants. It also has food shops. It is not far from the A30 which is the main trunk road through Cornwall.

Wherever you decide to stay find out before booking what the car parking arrangements are as not all properties have their own spaces and parking can be difficult in some of the villages.

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
795 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

There is an Enterprise rent a car in Bodmin and they will meet you at the station and take you into Bodmin to do the formalities before you drive off on your holiday.

I think there is also one at Truro

Bodmin station is miles from Bodmin itself and in the middle of nowhere!

Edited: 27 September 2014, 17:36
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
84 reviews
9. Re: Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

3.5 miles, lol, but not walking distance because of the very busy road. I hate arriving at the station at night, it's like the land that time forgot, you can just imagine the tumbleweed rolling across the track.

Maryland
Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
10. Re: Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental

Thanks for the information. It sounds like taking the train from Reading to Truro is a good option for us. Does anyone know what car rentals companies are available in Truro? I'm also looking for a self catering cottage for a married couple that is close to a pub and store that may rent for more than the standard 7 day time period, perhaps 10 days. We would like to go as far north as Bath and down to the southern tip of Cornwall so something that is centrally located between the coasts and near a major highway. As my husband always tells me, I'm looking for a custom fit in an off the rack world but it can't hurt to ask!

Reply to: Train from Heathrow to Bodmin and car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bodmin
More Bodmin Topics