We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Pasty in North Corwall

Reading, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Best Pasty in North Corwall

My family and I just got back from 2 weeks vacation in the village of Blisland near Bodmin. While we were there we thought we would start a Cornish pasty league for the best traditional (steak) pasty we could find. Needless to say we couldn't eat THAT many pasties... but of the 6 we tried we were surprised at which came last!

Our results were (1 is best):

1. Warren's bakery in Bodmin (perfect mix of meat and veg, great seasoning, excellent pastry)

2. Café in Treesurfers near Tavistock (ok not strictly Cornwall but close. We asked them if they were home-made; they said no but did not know the supplier)

3. Polperro Bakery (more veg than meat, a bit peppery, but good pastry)

4. One we had on the Bodmin steam train as part of a murder mystery evening ride (so not even named, but still better than Rick Stein!)

5. Chough bakery in Padstow (generally good but filling was too wet so the pastry disintegrated)

6. Rick Stein's bakery! (definitely the worst by a long way! Very bland, no seasoning and mostly meat not enough veg)

I wish we had had time (and the appetite) for more. Since we didn't, I lay down the gauntlet now to anyone else staying in that area: first try a pasty from Warrens, then post your own league results for other pasties with Warrens as the benchmark. If any come higher then the next person should start with that higher rated one as the benchmark... that way, when we go back, we'll know where to get the very best pasty!

No cheating by the way... no vegetarian, gourmet or new age pasties please! Only traditional steak ones should make the league.

25 replies to this topic
Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
84 reviews
21. Re: Best Pasty in North Corwall

Penzance is in west Cornwall, not south Cornwall Janet

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
43 reviews
22. Re: Best Pasty in North Corwall

In reply to Janet who asked about pasties in/near Penzance...

We've enjoyed the pasties from Lavender's Deli (in Alverton, Penzance) and further out into the wild west the ones at Geevor Tin Mine restaurant are very good (you can go and use the restaurant without having to do the mine tour) and we've had a lovely 'proper' homemade pastie from The Logan Rock Inn at Treen village, near Porthcurno.

Lee, NH
Level Contributor
28 posts
115 reviews
23. Re: Best Pasty in North Corwall

sorry, seemed south of Tintangel, I guess I'll figure it out when I get there.

Lee, NH
Level Contributor
28 posts
115 reviews
24. Re: Best Pasty in North Corwall

thank you, I will try to find all three

Truro, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
25. Re: Best Pasty in North Corwall

I'm an avid pasty eater and have tried the majority on sale in Cornwall as can be seen by my stomach. Tastes vary but my own league table of favourites would be as follows :-

1st - Rippons of Bissoe .................................. Fabulous pasties at a fair price - simply the best

2nd - Anns pasties from the Lizard ................. Nice pasties but a bit pricey for the size

3rd - Chacewater Bakery ............................... Tasty pasty at a good price if they have not sold out !

Reply to: Best Pasty in North Corwall
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bodmin
More Bodmin Topics