My family and I just got back from 2 weeks vacation in the village of Blisland near Bodmin. While we were there we thought we would start a Cornish pasty league for the best traditional (steak) pasty we could find. Needless to say we couldn't eat THAT many pasties... but of the 6 we tried we were surprised at which came last!
Our results were (1 is best):
1. Warren's bakery in Bodmin (perfect mix of meat and veg, great seasoning, excellent pastry)
3. Polperro Bakery (more veg than meat, a bit peppery, but good pastry)
4. One we had on the Bodmin steam train as part of a murder mystery evening ride (so not even named, but still better than Rick Stein!)
5. Chough bakery in Padstow (generally good but filling was too wet so the pastry disintegrated)
6. Rick Stein's bakery! (definitely the worst by a long way! Very bland, no seasoning and mostly meat not enough veg)
I wish we had had time (and the appetite) for more. Since we didn't, I lay down the gauntlet now to anyone else staying in that area: first try a pasty from Warrens, then post your own league results for other pasties with Warrens as the benchmark. If any come higher then the next person should start with that higher rated one as the benchmark... that way, when we go back, we'll know where to get the very best pasty!
No cheating by the way... no vegetarian, gourmet or new age pasties please! Only traditional steak ones should make the league.