We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parents Renewing Vows - in search of picturesque spot

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Topic
Parents Renewing Vows - in search of picturesque spot

My parents are celebrating 40 years of marriage next year, and my dad would like to surprise my mom with a vow renewal ceremony during a family vacation to Scotland. We are staying in the Thornhill area, and are in search of a spot to do a quick ceremony. There will only be six of us; my dad is hoping for a small, quick, but meaningful event. My brother is performing the ceremony, and we just need a nice location where my mom will be the star of the show. Afterwards, my dad just wants to do a nice family dinner. This does not need to be a full-blown wedding event; just something small, intimate, and memorable. Any suggestions? We need something relatively accessible (not hiking up a mountain - my daughter is under 5 years old), within driving distance to a nice restaurant, with some separation from the general public, i.e. not on the bridge to Stirling Castle, and a low cost. Thanks in advance for all the help! I'm so excited to help my dad surprise my mom with this!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Stirling Castle
Stirling Castle
7,229 Reviews
Stirling, UK
1 reply
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,464 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parents Renewing Vows - in search of picturesque spot

My first thought near Thornhill was Inchmahome Priory on the Lake of Menteith which is only a couple of miles away. You take the boat over to the island and then come back to the Lake of Menteith Hotel for dinner. I have never eather there but it does get very good reviews for food.

The hotel is also right on the lake if you didn't want to go to the priory.

What time of year is this? I would plan a bad weather back up plan too.

Mentioned in this post
Inchmahome Priory
Inchmahome Priory
209 Reviews
Port of Menteith, UK
The Lake of Menteith Hotel
The Lake of Menteith...
717 Reviews
Port of Menteith, UK
Reply to: Parents Renewing Vows - in search of picturesque spot
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted