We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

manchester
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

We are just about to book a few days in Tenby then we saw Saundersfoot and wondered which one is best?

we are a couple in our early tirties and like to go sightseeing by day and to wonder around a few shops and pubs and restaurants for good cusine in te evenings.

would Tenby be te place or Saundersfoot?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tenby
Tenby
Pembrokeshire, UK
Saundersfoot
Saundersfoot
Pembrokeshire, UK
London
Level Contributor
111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

It is a while since I have been to either (I used to go on family holidays there as a child). However, I would certainly vote for Tenby - it is a very pretty town, with a lovely harbour from where you can do boat trips to Caldy and Skomer islands and along the coast. It is now quite trendy I think, so should be some decent restaurants. Saundersfoot has an excellent beach, but not a huge amount else, from memory (Tenby has a smaller beach). You can access the Pembrokeshire coastal path from either.

Mentioned in this post
Tenby
Tenby
Pembrokeshire, UK
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,984 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

I think what Saundersfoot has over Tenby is more available car parking, but I would say that Tenby definitely has the edge for me, as it has more to offer in terms of history, activities, shops, pubs and choice of eateries. They are not that far apart, so you can stay at one and check out the other. Both have good beaches.

Edited: 01 September 2010, 16:59
Mentioned in this post
Saundersfoot
Saundersfoot
Pembrokeshire, UK
Tenby
Tenby
Pembrokeshire, UK
Wales, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

Tenby for me without doubt, better choice of shops,pubs ,restaurants, hotels, great views over the beach towards caldy island. I've stayed in both resorts, Saundersfoot a couple of times... and Tenby dozens of times.

Alf

Mentioned in this post
Tenby
Tenby
Pembrokeshire, UK
Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

Tenby gets my vote too and would seem to be better suited to you with more choice of pubs and restaurants.

Having said that we have had good lunches in Saundersfoot and the parking is much easier!

Mentioned in this post
Tenby
Tenby
Pembrokeshire, UK
Saundersfoot
Saundersfoot
Pembrokeshire, UK
manchester
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

We have stayed in Abersoch in north Wales and loved it but we wanted to venture further and Tenby seemed to be a pretty town.

Thanks so much as put my mind at ease .

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Abersoch
Abersoch
Gwynedd, UK
North Wales
North Wales
Wales, UK
Tenby
Tenby
Pembrokeshire, UK
Tenby, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

A small amendment to information on boat trips to Skomer, they are not available from Tenby. If planning such a trip, boats depart from Martin's Haven (landing) or Neyland Marina (Dale Sailing). Extensive information on boat trips may be found in the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park's 'Coast-to-Coast' newspaper - available as a hard copy, or online at www.pcnpa.org.uk

Mentioned in this post
Tenby
Tenby
Pembrokeshire, UK
Tenby, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

To add... edit time ran out!!!

Tenby is a small town as opposed to S'foot being a large village. Both have 'atmosphere', and a selection of pubs and restaurants. Tenby has a larger selection of both, but sometimes not to the provision of a nicer meal!

As they are 15 minutes apart (4miles), you could visit both????

Shops - smaller in number at S'foot. At late summer/early autumn there would only be a limited number (if any) open into late evening at either destination. For the boutique/local art gallery style shop, Narberth (approx. 20 minutes by car) offers a lovely selection.

www.visitpembrokeshire.com and www.pcnpa.org.uk will offer further information.

Edited: 11 September 2010, 17:50
Mentioned in this post
Tenby
Tenby
Pembrokeshire, UK
8. Re: Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 16:33
manchester
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

Tenby was the best choice, thanks to all who helped.

Plenty bars, pubs, restaurants and it is a beautiful town too.

Beautiful beaches and views to Caldy island, which we went on a boat trip to.

We will definatley go back one day.

Mentioned in this post
Tenby
Tenby
Pembrokeshire, UK
10. Re: Tenby or Saundersfoot, which is best for pubs and restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 09:45
Get answers to your questions about Tenby
Recent Conversations